When should I let Mama hen take her babies out of the pen.

lizhejerry84

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2020
I finally have a broody hen got 5 chicks hatched in regular nest box last week, I moved them to a separate pen, when I can open the door and let mama hen take her babies out to meet other members in the flock?
I have one rooster and 5 more hens out there, will babies be safe with mama?
Thanks

I finally have a broody hen got 5 chicks hatched in regular nest box last week, I moved them to a separate pen, when I can open the door and let mama hen take her babies out to meet other members in the flock?
I have one rooster and 5 more hens out there, will babies be safe with mama?
Thanks
Depends on the broody. Mine was at the top of the pecking order, so she took care of her chicks fine. My rooster never bothered chicks. I would let them out, but keep a close watch. The other hens and rooster should not be able to get to the chicks.

Does Mama watch her chicks well?
Hows your rooster toward the chicks?
Pecking order?

Depends on the broody. Mine was at the top of the pecking order, so she took care of her chicks fine. My rooster never bothered chicks. I would let them out, but keep a close watch. The other hens and rooster should not be able to get to the chicks.

Pecking order?
This is my oldest hen, and she used to be the top in the pecking order, even rooster was beat by her when she first came. she took care her babies very well, it is just about 5 days for the oldest baby so I may try to let them out today or tomorrow to see how they will do with other chickens. Thank you

Pecking order?
I let them out today, mama hen seems protect her babies pretty well from other hens, however, not rooster. Rooster sometimes sudden pecks on one of the chick but she seems no response. What to do?

I let them out today, mama hen seems protect her babies pretty well from other hens, however, not rooster. Rooster sometimes sudden pecks on one of the chick but she seems no response. What to do?
Unfortunatley, your rooster sounds immature or he may just be a bad rooster. My rooster is really gentle with the babies! If the mom is showing lack of response, which is more worrying than the rooster pecking them, I would keep them in the pen. My broody was super protective and she would attack a dog for her chicks...!

Unfortunatley, your rooster sounds immature or he may just be a bad rooster. My rooster is really gentle with the babies! If the mom is showing lack of response, which is more worrying than the rooster pecking them, I would keep them in the pen. My broody was super protective and she would attack a dog for her chicks...!
I will try to separate them, thanks

Does the mom protect the chicks? Does she peck or chase down anyone who comes near?

You mentioned that she did fine with the other hens?
She will chase other hens who is in lower pecking order, and only one above her, and she always by herself and never bother others. Mama used to beat up rooster however, once she accepted him, she never challenged him again, so she seems not very responsible to the pecking of rooster.

She will chase other hens who is in lower pecking order, and only one above her, and she always by herself and never bother others. Mama used to beat up rooster however, once she accepted him, she never challenged him again, so she seems not very responsible to the pecking of rooster.
I see...my broody also stayed to herself until I gave out treats. She would hog the food for herself and her chicks. If I were you, I would let her out again, once the chicks are all around 1 week old. I would rather lock the rooster up than the broody and her chicks though :p

Back
Top Bottom