When should I let my chicks outside (with mama hen)

Das777

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 8, 2010
I have a question about when to let the mother take her chicks outside... I have been letting them out since day7 of the last hatch but is this an ok thing to do? I also want to know ideas on what age incubated pullets should be introduced to the flock we usually let nature take its course and introduce them after 2 days or so of being inside the coop after we get them and they are mostly fine if you have four or so together...

1) The mother will decide when it's time on her own.
2) Well, I'd wait until they're strong enough to be on there own outside. Also, I usually wait a week. Split the coop in half with chicken wire etc. so they can introduce themselves without being able to peck at one another. Then wait a week or so until they have the pecking order decided. Once you let them out to join the flock, watch them for awhile just to make sure they're not fighting. When you let them in with the rest, do it at night. Just slip them into/on the perch so in the morning they'll be too distracted by food to fight. Then they'll be just like the rest of the flock hopefully.

I do not guarantee it'll work but it's worth a shot.

QP

Ok thanks my brooder decided that after a week of being in a broody box with her chicks that it was all that she could take and she went outside, I put up a little ramp going out of the coop so the chicks could walk outside if needed. At the time they were flying on their own so I wasn't worried that they would fall 2 feet to their deaths, I usually needed to put the chicks in by hand every night but to my surprise after a 2 days of me putting them in they figured out that the ramp was how to get in the coop with their momma
smile.png
. Thanks for the help just figured I would write an update on them

Back
Top Bottom