When should I put a safety hole in a call duck egg?

Thanks, I really appreciate that, I have heard that opening up the incubator is just going to ruin anything, so its nice to hear that. I really appreciate the advice and I hope everything goes smoothly!
I was that same nervous wreck my first time. So paranoid about shrink wrapping.

Hush it Shaw. I can hear you laughing.

It's really not as common as you'd think. Just don't leave it open when you're assisting. Take your egg out, shut the incubator. Put it back in when you're done and keep an eye on humidity.

I was that same nervous wreck my first time. So paranoid about shrink wrapping.

Hush it Shaw. I can hear you laughing.

It's really not as common as you'd think. Just don't leave it open when you're assisting. Take your egg out, shut the incubator. Put it back in when you're done and keep an eye on humidity.
I only laugh because I went through the same stuff 😂
You know that diaper commercial..
"Live and learn and then get luvs"?
It's like that.

So I have one other question, I have made the safety holes now and they seem to be doing good. We have made the safety holes a little small but I think it will be alright. One thing I forgot to mention that is quite important possibly. I don't want to put ANY blame on the person who was helping me, its my fault because of a few reasons, like not telling them to not apply much force and if I wasn't so nervous causing my hands to be shaky, I could have been able to do the safety hole. But when I was guiding them through making the safety hole, it cracked the egg a little bit on one. It didn't make a HUGE hole, but it was about the size of a little bit large pip, ive taped the area except the saftey hole. I don't know if that was the right decision to make at the time, what do you guys think? It would have let a little more air in that id like. I assume I will almost definetely have to assist it with zipping, and remove the tape later, but should I have just left the hole and done nothing? or done something else?

Also, do you guys know how long I should wait? I am thinking tomorrow morning I should start assisting if any need help which would be day 28. You think thats too soon? they all have internally pipped and I don't THINK they will zip on their own, but its very possible especially with a few of the eggs that are a little less show quality, 2 are more show quality the other 2 are a little less

As long as the hole was over the air cell, you're okay.

How long have they been internally pipped?
it was over the air cell, I do not know exactly what time they pipped, it was either during the night, or in the morning, so it REALLY could have been a long time, just not over 24 hours, I would expect they havent been internally pipped for more than 18 hours but a realistic number would probably be around 8-12 hours ago they internally pipped, but really I dont know as I was asleep for a majority of that. Some seemed to be more inside of the air sac than others, so I assume those internally pipped for longer? but honestly, I really dont know about when they internally pipped, just I know it was before around 12 pm today (noon) and its 6 pm for me rn, it also is a possibility they internally pipped not too long before I checked, but it didnt look like it TOO much, maybe one of them it did. I dont mind staying up quite late if it means it would be better for the duckling to do assisted hatching around that time if thats when I should be assisting.

Last edited:
I usually let them rest and continue to absorb yolk for the next 24 hours or so after an internal pip and safety hole.

Then I personally start making the hole (over the air cell only!) a bit bigger over the course of the day. Like maybe every 4/5 hours I'll make the holes a bit bigger. This allows me to see veins and know how well they're absorbing. I let the veins determine my pace. Once you do this, you'll need to gently but liberally spread coconut oil or Vaseline over any exposed membrane. I use a cotton swab. Those membranes dry out fast once they're exposed. You do NOT want them drying out.

Do you have your air cells marked? It helps to mark your air cells once they've drawn down. That way you know exactly where it is safe to remove shell without getting too close to any veins.

Like this pic below. See the ring I drew? I can clearly see from all angles where exactly the air cell starts and stops.

The hole here was started on day 27 I believe. The safety hole (I use a self tapping screw) was placed on day 26 AFTER I was positive the duckling had internally pipped.

If you zoom in, you can see the membrane and veins. See how the veins are still quite full of blood? She was not ready yet. Therefore I wait (and continue to make sure it stays moist) until those veins turn clear. Then I remove a bit more shell from the air cell. I NEVER remove shell from anywhere else. Only the area I marked as the air cell.
20210515_091901.jpg

@shawluvsbirds how did I do explaining that? In my head it makes sense. I've never really stopped to think about trying to tell someone else how I do it. It's one of those things once you're familiar with you just know.

That and I got a crash course from you ladies all while panicking for my first time. 🤣

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom