When should i shave my cat?

Hun-- call a local Vet-- there MAy be sores or skin problems under the matted fur... they can give him something to keep him calm (no need to scare him) and then shave him, and treat any nicks, abrasions, bugs etc.. that may be under there.

Let them know this is a rescued cat-- they may be able to either give you a discount- or point you to someone who will do it for free!
wink.png
Good Luck

Quiet Clippers are important... Turn on the clippers away from the cat before you bring them to his body...just in case he freaks out about the noise.

Trim the nails first.

Use clippers with an attachment that leaves about a 1/4" of hair

You might have to do it in several time periods. Cats have a limited time that they can be worked with - If he starts acting as if he getting annoyed or ticked, stop and continue later.

A Lion Cut (fur left on end of tail, legs, head) looks the best, and allows the coldest body parts to have fur.

I think the temp outside is fine, as long as you are bringing him inside at night like you said.

he was totally fine with the noise of the clippers. i only did a little, and then let him go so it would be a pleasant experience for him. he even purred a little while i was clipping him! i just love this cat. he's a sweetie.

Back
Top Bottom