When should I stop feeding the starter feed??

feathers_3

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Eastern NC
I have pullets that have just started to cluck this week and I have gotten to the last few scoops of the chick feed. What type of feed should I get them next? Thanks!!

You could either start giving them grower or layer crumbles (if you feedstore has the 16% in crumbles). I usually alternate between grower and scratch grains at this time to get them used to actual grains, but that's my personal feeding program based on how the birds are going to live later in life, works for me and saves money. for birds that will be confined to a pen, i gove a feeding ratio of two feedings of scratch per one feeding of layer pellets.

I've recieved some critisism for it but last year, when I ran out of chick feed on their eigth week, I switched to layer pellets. No gradual phasing in and phasing out, just a hard switch. They didn't seem to care and they did just fine and are all still doing fine a year later. I plan on doing the same with the little ones in the shed this year.

Just my two cents.

I keep mine on starter/grower until they are 16-18 weeks of age. It is what I have done for about 5 years now. However if you think back to when you were a kid and your grandmother had chicks..did they keep them on starter grower all that time...hmmmmmmmmmm NO, and they never lost any either. who knows....It's kind of the drink skim milk thing is better for you. lol..I drink fresh milk straight from the goat and LOVE it and my cholesterol is lower than anyones when I go in for a check up..but I digress.

Chicks can eat anything up to laying. Starter, grower, finisher, flock raiser, anything. I'd just leave the layer feed until 18 weeks. No need to rush that. But anything else is feed. Differing amounts of protein and different prices, but all work and the chicks will be fine with any of them.

Back
Top Bottom