When should I stop turning call duck eggs?

Sorry for the delay in updates! I had to leave the house around 5pm to go run a few errands before stores closed for the day. Came back and ALL 5 are hatched and alive. I couldn't be any happier right now. This is the greatest early birthday present ever lol. 4 serama chicks and 4 ducklings; 4 calls and one aussie spotted. They didn't require any assistance at all thankfully although they just about flooded the brinsea mini ii advance with all that hatching goop and what not. (ew!) To the point that they would never dry in there so they are moved to their brooder and I'm watching them dry off now.
Congrats on an excellent hatch! I'm assuming you know the proper food an care for them.

We have 3 small rectangular incubators we picked up on clearance/overstock for $7 each. We use the best one for incubating and the other ones for brooders for the hatchlings to dry off and get all cutesy. Then we move them to a much bigger brooder.
We currently have a 17 day old (Georgie) and 9 day old (Jason - born on Friday the 13th) Call Ducklings and 6 more eggs in the incubator. Georgie just started getting tiny pre-feathers on his tail and wings within the past couple days.

The chart is in grams.

Attachments

• Call Duck Growth Chart.png
    Call Duck Growth Chart.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Georgie-17days.jpg
    Georgie-17days.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Jason-9days.jpg
    Jason-9days.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 4
So, call duck eggs usually hatch around 26 days, I stop turning them on day 23, also be prepared if you need to assist any if you want the best odds of getting more ducklings to hatch, although I get for some people that assisting isnt something everyone wants to do
How do you assist mine now have black spots I'm at day 27 on mallard eggs

day 27 on mallard eggs
I read that mallards hatch on day 28 so just be careful not to jump the gun. Make sure you are certain you know what you are doing before assisting. I don't know that mallards would have the same hatching problems as calls with their regular sized beak. And keep in mind that duck eggs hatch extremely slowly sometimes compared to chickens

I read that mallards hatch on day 28 so just be careful not to jump the gun. Make sure you are certain you know what you are doing before assisting. I don't know that mallards would have the same hatching problems as calls with their regular sized beak. And keep in mind that duck eggs hatch extremely slowly sometimes compared to chickens
Yesterday day was 28 days they're pecking but have not hatched out what should I do now

It can take 48 hours according to what I read before they will "zip" and hatch after the external pip. Why not look up how to identify shrink wrapping in pipped egg and make sure your humidity is a correct while you wait. Don't open the Bator or remove any ducklings until the hatch seems over. They don't need food or water due to still absorbing the yolk and should be fluffy and dry before removal. Consider that most duck eggs take 28 days and if your temperatures were not perfect they can run a bit late.

It can take 48 hours according to what I read before they will "zip" and hatch after the external pip. Why not look up how to identify shrink wrapping in pipped egg and make sure your humidity is a correct while you wait. Don't open the Bator or remove any ducklings until the hatch seems over. They don't need food or water due to still absorbing the yolk and should be fluffy and dry before removal. Consider that most duck eggs take 28 days and if your temperatures were not perfect they can run a bit late.
Awesome thank you .. I will look into that this is my first time hatching ducks so I'm nervous and excited

Back
Top Bottom