When should I switch from starter/grower to regular hen feed?

Live Oak Farms 01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I have 6 7week old pullets and 4 5week old pullets, when can I switch them to layer chicken feed?
They have not been on medicated starter/grower.
smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png

Last edited:
Mine stayed on grower until we got our first egg, then we switched to layer feed. Is that what you mean by "regular" chicken food? You don't want to feed layer feed until they are actually laying, because the added calcium is bad for a growing chicken's kidneys. You can put out your crushed oyster shell/clean eggshells for supplemental calcium at that time too. Hope that helps!
smile.png

I agree with the other posts. This is what I do not what others may do.

Starter crumbles up to 8 weeks.
or
Starter/Grower, until I get my first egg .
or
Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.

Layer from first egg on and free choice Oyster Shells. They will take what they want and need.

I use medicated Starter/Grower. I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg, I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems. The amprollium in the Starter or Starter/Grower helps in the chicks development in their resistance to cocci. It is sulfa based. There is only a problem eating the eggs layed by the birds that have had the medicated feed when they start to lay if you have any allergies to Sulfa.

Also, as soon as my chicks are given anything besides Starter/Grower Crumbles they are given free choice chick grit and they choose it with pleasure. TSC carries Chick Grit with is finer than regular grit.

Last edited:
I am actually wondering this too. My chicks are 4 weeks old and have moved on to fruits/vegs in addition to their chick starter. I have 3 Buff Orps and 3 Barred Rocks. (Not to mention 3 kids, a dog, a cat, & a husband.)
roll.png
I need to know if I can switch them to a different food because my chicks EAT! And eat, and eat! So if I can give them something a little less expensive, I'd be thrilled. Thanks for your help!
barnie.gif

Quote:
There is little difference in price between starter/grower/layer. You want them to eat and eat and eat when they are growing so fast, or they could end up with leg problems, low adult weight and even problems with egg production when the time comes. As the chicks get older and closer to full grown, they will slow down on how much they eat.

Quote:
There is little difference in price between starter/grower/layer. You want them to eat and eat and eat when they are growing so fast, or they could end up with leg problems, low adult weight and even problems with egg production when the time comes. As the chicks get older and closer to full grown, they will slow down on how much they eat.

Ohhhhh.... They have slowed down in eating since they were chicks

Back
Top Bottom