When should roos move out

I can't tell but from the pic the 2 in front look barred, but I'm not as familiar with the breed as I only have one barred hen. I'm sure someone can chime in though!

All 3 are barred, the only difference is the legs. 2 boys thst have the same leg color (yellow), 1 has a short tail stack vs 1 is long. The other boy has a long tail but grey legs.

Is it safe to say the hens that are the same ages as the boys will be ready to lay soon? I will make sure to keep them separate!

No. The cockerels will be harassing the pullets with increased frequency and violence. As stated by PP, the pullets may not lay any time soon. I had several gals in my last flock who didn't start laying till they were 10 months old. Your pullets won't be ready to breed until they reach POL. When there is more than one cockerel, they will "gang breed". They will work together to chase down the weakest pullet. They will pin her to the ground, and take turns breeding her, some times 2 on top at once, while the third stands in front and attacks her head. At that age, cockerels are hormone driven. I've seen a cockerel trying to breed a coffee can.

Is it safe to say the hens that are the same ages as the boys will be ready to lay soon?
No. Cockerels 'mature' sexually at about 4 months.
Onset of lay in most breeds is 18-26 weeks.

I can't tell which are the barred rocks and which are the French cuckoo marans! They look quite alike, only difference is one of the boys have different color legs
BR have yellow legs.

I started out loving each of my Roos until at about two years old they decided to try and flog me every day at feeding time. Pretty is as pretty does. I wouldn’t wait very long to rehome so you’re not stuck with a bunch of mean Roos that aren’t good for much more than stew. I know it sounds harsh, but wait til you’ve been flogged at 7 am on a Saturday. Lol

I myself remove all cockerel from the flock (at about 4 months) until I pick one and only one to be on the flock for breading. The youngest I will put with my girls is 1 YO, and I prefer 2YOs. Until then they can be in private quarters, in site of the flock.
What to do with the extras,, well they can be hard to even give away, I do butcher out,,,,

I am going to say remove the cockerels, and do some research on them. They never really turn out to be nice pets, and can be mean to your flock, so I would spend some time considering if you even want one.

Back
Top Bottom