When should the nesting box become accessible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by youngjedi32002, Jun 13, 2011.

1. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    My chickens are almost 4 months old. They have been out in their coop and run for 2 months now and very happy and content. I had heard that the nesting box should be blocked while they are in their "in between" stage, so I have a piece of cardboard blocking the opening and the whole thing is stuffed up with hay. They should start laying in 3-4 weeks so when exactly should I unblock the nesting box? I don't want them to just use it as a poop box but I do want them to see that it is there! If anyone starts laying early, I want them to have a comfortable place to do it! Any advice would be very welcome!

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would add a few fake eggs & open it so they can get familiar with it. Mine would get in it & scratch around & knock the eggs out . I'd just put them back. They now only lay in the boxes.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

My nest boxes have never been covered and the hens find them when they're ready. Are you sure the blocking was to force them to roost and not sleep in the nest?

4. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    Quote:Well, it was to force them not to wander into the box and poop in it! They roost very happily in the coop! I am going to unstuff the box and make it available now. I think they are probably old enough! I just wanted some more opinions! Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by