When should we introduce chicks to other chickens?

Lorax

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
Okay so it's way early yet but we had two chicks hatch under a broody at the weekend, and I like to think ahead!

Mamma Betty, and chicks, are in a separate coop/run right next to the main WIR. We have three fully grown pullets in the WIR who were raised from ODO chicks with Betty.

The coop in the main WIR is up a ladder (which would be impossible for the chicks to get up until they are a bit older). I've heard that it's a good idea to reintroduce Mamma and chicks back into the main flock not too late, whilst the chicks are still under her protection. But when might this be do you think? In a month? Later? Should we look for certain behaviours in the chicks?

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you!

I have my broodies and their chicks living in my flock right now. I never removed them. My flock doesn’t mind the chicks at all and the chicks pretty much go off on their own a lot and no one bugs them.

The more the flock sees them the better the introduction will be. I am not sure how you have them separated, but if the flock has seen the chicks through fencing or what not then they’ll be fine to be introduced into the flock. The broody will protect them at all times.

Thanks y'all.

The problem is also that the chicks wouldn't be able to get up into the coop at the moment so I can't introduce them (or else I would!). And they are too tiny to roost in the coop. I can't move the coop they are in into the WIR either (which would be ideal) as it won't fit.

I'll watch them and see how they get on..

The mother should take care of them and sleep with them on the ground. They'll stay safe under her wings, so it should be safe for them to be introduced to the flock. ;)

But what about food? The others are all laying and on layers' pellets and they are on chick crumb...(when do they come off it? I can't remember)

I have corn for my chickens and the mother will break the big pieces of corn with her beak so the chicks can eat, if you're worried about size. You can also give out the laying feed to the chickens, and pour the chick feed on the ground in another area for the chicks. If you have a smaller feeder, you can also put that out there for the chicks. The bigger chickens might eat some as well, but it will keep the chicks from eating the laying feed.

Back
Top Bottom