When stop turning

momofseven

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
On September 9 one of our hens started hoarding eggs ;)
She was sitting down on them every time we checked, and by Friday the 13th she had 23 eggs, but lost interest sitting on them, so I put them in the incubator.

Fast forward to today, it’s been 21 days since the first egg was laid, but 17 days since I put them in the incubator. When do I stop turning, in 2 days?

How long had the hen been on them before the eggs were put in the incubator? I usually stop turning on day 18 of incubation. Eggs should hatch around day 21.

well problem is she was sitting on them, your going to have a staggered hatch, I would go ahead and stop turning and up the humidity now it won't hurt them as long as they can get into position but be prepared some are going to hatch sooner than others.

How long had the hen been on them before the eggs were put in the incubator? I usually stop turning on day 18 of incubation. Eggs should hatch around day 21.

Since that Monday the 9th
But the other hens all kept laying in her nest until that Friday.
I’m guessing that she hasn’t sat on them faithfully given the fact the other hens could lay there?

Since that Monday the 9th
But the other hens all kept laying in her nest until that Friday.
I’m guessing that she hasn’t sat on them faithfully given the fact the other hens could lay there?
not necessarily, hens get up to eat and drink and poop from nest 2 times a day and one could have used that opportunity to get in there. That being said I would go ahead and stop turning them and up the humidity, I did it fine after asking at day 15 due to egg was really rocking , didn't have any ill effects and chicks though was rocking early hatched fine on day 20/21

Back
Top Bottom