when the chicks go into the hen house (feeding question)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cloverleaf Farm, May 16, 2009.

1. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I have 10 chicks ranging in age from 2-5 weeks, and in another couple of weeks, they are going to have to go to the henhouse to make way for the hatchlings in the brooder...my question is, what's the best way to seperate feed? I know the babies shouldn't have the big girls's food because of the high calcium, and the big girls need their food. I haven't been able to figure out any way to seperate the living space (it's a shed that is open to a large run 24/7, with nesting boxes on all sides - which is why it would be difficult to divide)...[​IMG]

Any thoughts, or ideas of what you may have done in this situation would be most appreciated!
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read on here to offer all of them a flock feed not designed for layers, and offer oyster shell separately. Supposedly only the hens will eat the oyster shell. I've never done this; just something I've read here.

3. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Could you keep the oyster shell up higher, so that only the big girls could reach it? Let me know how it goes...mine are going out next week!

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We feed Purina SunFresh FlockRaiser to our mixed ages. We put the oyster shell in a separate container. The young chicks never touched it, even though they could reach it. The hens eat it as they need it. (Note: our rooster never touches the oyster shell either.)

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have the same thing happening right now, and I chose to put out both types of feed. I have a long, trough-style wooden feeder and I put Start and Grow on one side and layer crumbles on the other.

I also have oyster shell separately, where they can all get at it. It seems they each eat whatever they want. So far, so good...

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Thanks everybody! I think I'll try the flock feed with the oyster shell seperately.

I appreciate everyone's input!!! [​IMG]

7. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I put the chicks feed in the milk crate. some of the hens can reach in but the chicks have a place to go for their feed. The layer feed I keep up a bit high for them to reach.

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That's a really interesting idea! Thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by