When the fake eggs don't work...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by larca83, Dec 10, 2012.

1. larca83

larca83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2012
    Elbert County, Colorado
    Seeking any advice or similar experiences from those who've been there. Two of my 5 hens are laying. The first started laying before we finished building the coop's nesting box. She dug her own little nest in the corner of the coop (though not dark or private), which just happens to be under the roost. She's been using it consistently now for 5 weeks, ignoring the completed nesting box. I've also had fake eggs in the nesting box for weeks, and I've picked her up and put her in there to try showing her. My second layer just started yesterday, and she's laying in the same corner as the first hen! It wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't right under the roost. I'm not too jazzed about them laying in the area that sees the most poop.

What can I try when the fake eggs don't seem to help? I am thinking about putting some sort of temporary nest in that corner (a box or crate on its side) so that at least the eggs will be shielded from poop until I get home from work to grab them. It's not an ideal spot for a permanent box, so I'd still like them to eventually move to the official nest. (Plus, I'm getting tired of walking through the coop every day to get eggs when I built a nice box that can be accessed from outside!) Should I put something in that spot to block it so they can't make a nest there at all? When I start giving eggs out to friends and family, I'd rather not give them eggs that sat in roost-poop all day. [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Use an animal crate and continue to move it slowly every day.. closer and closer to the nesting box. Some hens are just stubborn.. My cochins are that way.

How high are your nesting boxes? Are they big enough?

Right now I'm having issues with my birds in the boxes too much.. Even the non-layers.. I have to continuously kick them out. :barnie

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When mine pick a corner or something like that to lay, I've had to block that area off until they're habituated to laying somewhere else (hopefully the nest box!). Literally, a board, or a box, whatever so they can't get there. And even then they may just snug up against what you put there and lay as close as they can. The suggestion to move a box might work in that case. It's just hard to break habits in them!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's exactly how my cochin hens were. Didn't matter.. They would just lay as close to their place as possible. I just gave up and collected eggs off the ground :confused:

5. larca83

Apr 16, 2012
    Elbert County, Colorado
    Thank you! Our nesting box is about 2 feet high with a step in between.

6. larca83

Apr 16, 2012
    Elbert County, Colorado
    I'll try that too...I'll deal with eggs on the floor if they insist, but at least maybe I can keep them from sitting under the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by