when the hen starts laying

dreamcatcher12

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Gaston South Carolina
Hi I'm new to BYC and new to raising chickens I have 2 hens and I believe one has started to lay eggs I say one because there is only one egge a day well the first time there was 2 but there after wasonly one a day. They are 15 weeks old and I feed them chick starter the food you get when you first buy ur babies. Now that they are going to start laying eggs should I start to feed them something else and if so what should I give them. Also I wasnt expecting them to start laying so soon and was told I didnt need nesting boxes till they were 5 months old so she is just laying on the floor of the house is it going to be hard to get her to go into a nesting box now. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice and thank you in advance.

Welcome to BYC! I would build a box asap and if she has trouble use a fake egg or golf ball. Just leave it and she should get the hint. If they're only 15 weeks you could stick with the layer feed and add a bowl of oyster shell free choice. Then you can slowly switch to layers ration. Do it gradually over a week or so. Just mix a little more of the new feed each day.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You need to get them all on layer feed now. They will need lots of calcium to make those hard egg shells. They can easily become egg bound without sufficient calcium. And while you are at the feed store, get some oyster shell too. You can keep some of this in a separate feeder or bowl so if they need extra calcium, they can pick thru this and eat it for more calcium.

Now that they are laying, get your nest boxes up and you can put fake eggs in the nest boxes, This will entice the pullets to lay there. Chickens are most comfortable laying where others have laid, so when they see the fake eggs, they will start to lay in the boxes. Here is a link to where you can purchase them....http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hen-Tre...06925464&sr=8-1&keywords=ceramic+chicken+eggs

These also come in white as well. For now, you can use golf balls, however some chickens are not fooled by golf balls. The ceramic eggs are so real, the chickens are sure they are real chicken eggs.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

So then I should start buying layer feed instead of the starter feed I remembered when I was reading about the oyster shells so they arent to young then and thanks about the gradually switching the food didnt know that.... I guess I better get my butt moving on making the nest boxes.....

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 time for the laying feed. If you have extra of the chick feed left over, finish it up and then buy layer feed. Provide either oyster shell or crushed, rinsed eggshells in a separate dish for extra calcium. Hens need calcium. Many things can go wrong without it.
Here's a link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/eggshells-for-laying-hens

Put fake eggs in the nest to show them where to lay and make the feel more comfortable laying there since they tend to lay where there are other eggs. Put lots of comfy bedding in and maybe some herbs too. Shredded paper and sand are bad nesting material choices. Pine shavings and straw are you best bet.
Here's another link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/nest-box-aromatherapy

Glad you joined!!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from the other members. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope you get lots of eggs from your hens.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Those pullets are laying early! Definitely build a nestbox for them and place a fake egg or a golf ball in it. As long as it resembles an egg they'll fall for it :) You can finish the grower feed you've got left and then give them layer afterwards. In the meantime crush up some egg shells, or get them some oyster shell for extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom