when they lay eggs/.

davecash

Songster
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
kaintucky
when they lay eggs and u know their fertile, and they sit on them.. will they lay others? will other hens sit on them? how will i know which eggs i want to have hatch, and which ones i want to eat?

They will lay all their eggs fertile or not. If you have a rooster with your hens, they are most likely fertile. The hen will only sit if she is broody and she will sit on both fertile and unfertile eggs. Just take eggs every day to eat unless you want chicks. Then you need to wait till you get a broody and put the eggs you took back under her. Or just hatch them yourself.

This is my first posting!
It's a reply. I was reading and forgot to see how to post a NEW message!

Anyway, I finally got 3 chickens last Sunday. I don't know what they are, but one hen is laying an egg a day!

The other, I think, is a young rooster, not a hen, as I was told.

The third is younger than the other two, and is a different type/breed, and the other two have rejected it, pecking at it. I separated it from the other two, and it "cries" alot: not clucking, "crying" a kind of "koo" with a warble-sound like you get when you roll your tongue.

Anyway, I wanted 3 hens to lay eggs, but only one lays. How do I know a hen from a rooster and what breeds I have!!??

Here's a novice question: do I need a rooster in order for my hens to lay eggs? I will attach a picture if I can figure out how to do so. Well, I dan't figure that out. I will try to post this as a new post somehow~

Thanks, in advance!
meee

Back
Top Bottom