When to add grit to chick feed?

I agree with BoltonChicken about the clod of dirt. My coming 3 week mixed batch were getting bored even with their bigger space and rocks and sticks etc (with dirt on them as they came from the garden) so I tried his suggestion of bringing in a clod of dirt and grass. I put it all into a big chefs baking pan, dampened it a bit and they had a great time wearing themselves out fighting over treasures climbing on and jumping off, getting to really scratch for something. So until I can get the real pen and coop done, over the next 3 weeks, they can enjoy their indoor playpen, about 5' by 5' though they are now threatening to fly over to me when I come into the room!

Quote:
Thanks Dawn. We were cutting up some strawberries over the weekend and decided to drop one or two into the brooder to see what the 1 week old chicks would do. To our disappointment, they just ignored it. The berries sat on the shavings and eventually dried out (due to the heat). We chalked it up to the fact that the chicks did not know what it was or that they should try it, but we'll have to repeat the experiment in a few weeks to see.

-Okt

My 18 week girls don't seem to like yogurt. How do you give it to them? In a bowl? Mixed with crumbles?

Quote:

Thanks Dawn. We were cutting up some strawberries over the weekend and decided to drop one or two into the brooder to see what the 1 week old chicks would do. To our disappointment, they just ignored it. The berries sat on the shavings and eventually dried out (due to the heat). We chalked it up to the fact that the chicks did not know what it was or that they should try it, but we'll have to repeat the experiment in a few weeks to see.

-Okt

Start small... they're babies without a hen to tell them it's food and that it's yummy. The first treat my chicks have gotten was the live meal worms. The first peck is instinct, I think... after that they all go nuts for them. But I never gave them anything like that until they had grit. Or are outside getting their own grit.

Welcome to BYC neighbor! I'm over in eastern Ct...

Back
Top Bottom