when to add new ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bravevline, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    i am getting some pekin ducklings tomorrow and was wondering when i can let them out with my 2 geese and 2 ducks that always stay together. they stay together cause they've always been together all the way from bei g bought the same brooder. will the big flock accept new ducks?

2. chickarooo

chickarooo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Yes I believe your flock will except them but do it gradually

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They likely will, eventually BUT take it slow.. you have anyway to have them penned so they can see/speak with the flock but not be with them? that is how i transition non hatched birds here.

There is a pecking order and things can get out of hand, so do be present when they finally do merge, most time some jabbing and babbling takes place but personalities do play a role too.

I have successfully, merged young quite often here, did so again this yr and it does usually come out in the end, when done slowly and with proper guidance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    they took just fine! i decided to take the risk and throw them in cold turkey, or should i say cold duck after just a few days at most of having their own small cage in the duck/goose sleeping pen. they get along fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by