When to adjust Brinsea height?

heathercara

Chirping
Jan 18, 2019
Santa Cruz Mountains
I have a group of 7 chicks (standards and bantams) that I received on Wednesday, 3/27. Today, I just got a naked neck from the feed store.

She's one week older, so I adjusted the Brinsea from being on the lowest height to one rung on the lowest height and the other to be on the middle height (it's lopsided). Is this okay??? Also at the feed store, they use the light, so I want to make sure my little naked neck knows to go under the Brinsea. I tried to stick her under there and she ran out.

1. Should I put the Brinsea on the lowest level again or leave it as-is?
2. Is it better to have one side low and one side on the middle?
3. Do I just force her under there?

My other chicks understand the Brinsea, and I'm not sure that she does yet. FYI they are in a bedroom that's between 72-74, so maybe she's okay? I came home and she was just laying in the shavings but she was fine, eating, drinking, scratching around with the others.

Thanks!
H.

Sounds like she, and you, are doing just fine.
Thank you! This is my first time having chicks, and I have had a bad time of it - 5 out of 13 have died (and I did everything)! I spoke with our chicken lady at our feed store, and it sounds like the shipping was just really bad. So I am totally paranoid now.

Now she's laying next to underneath the Brinsea and half her body is at like 88 (yes, I have a temperature gun to check!), so I think she's okay. I just can't handle losing any more :(

Actually having your heat plate tilted is better than having it level. It gives the chicks more options of where to get for the amount of heat they need. Specially if you have different size/age of chicks.

Some chicks take to the heat plate faster than others. When I first get mine, I always give them a drink or two, then put them under the plate. Sometimes it takes a couple of times, but they get the idea pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom