When to assist hatching gosling?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
It started pipping yesterday at the top of the egg. Today its made a large enough hole to poke its bill out. But its been about six hours since. We can see its breathing and theres another gosling in there thats drying so it has a little friend to bump into it. I've seen some people say 3 hours after making a hole it should hatch but I've also seen some that say a couple days. Their on day 33. Were thinking of waiting till tomorrow to see if it hatches but not to sure since its our first hatching group and the first 2 pipped and hatched within 12 hours after noticing their pip. The third current hatched gosling pipped yesterday and hatched a couple hours ago.

I've seen where some people cut to help assist but theres some that just goes around cracking most of the exterior so it doesn't have to try so hard. I was thinking of just cracking partly around the exterior for it.

Any advice on how long to wait? I heard goslings take a little longer to hatch because they have to stop and rest since the shells are are thicker.

Many don't completely hatch until day 35, and many can take 3 days to fully hatch. It can be hard to decide whether to help or not. It all depends on whether it's done absorbing the yolk and if all the veins are done receding.

@JRies gave some good information here for another member,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-hatching-help.1623284/post-27730611
Thank you! My mom woke me up at 7:30am because the gosling that was in there was biting at the one inside the egg and then started nibbling on the incubator wires so after a few hours we made the decision to pull it and in doing so I cracked a thin line around most of the exterior of the egg about a half hour ago and put it back in and sprayed some water in the incubator and added warmish water to the trays. Less than 10 minutes ago it got its head and what looked like one of its wings out.

It was about 2 hours after yesterday. Forgot to update XD

It seems a little smaller than the others. We left it in the incubator all day and all night because it still seemed weak. But this morning it was walking around chewing on wires.

Back
Top Bottom