When to butcher geese?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GraceAK, Jan 22, 2010.

1. barrybro

barrybro Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Quote:This is the "meat" bird section. If you don't like the idea of eating poultry and waterfowl. You probably shouldn't enter into this section.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    goose is great, try smoking it.

3. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    Are there any Amens for Katy...Lady??

We smoke our ducks, geese and some chicken, turkey and pork. We use several recipes. Taste great! Try drying some smoked meats for snacks or use thinly sliced and added to soaps and gravies.

Amen!!

4. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    Quote:what is SOAP like with meat in it?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    OOps!! Soup I ment.

6. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I used to butcher Canadians in the fall , shortly after buying my Migratory Bird Stamp .
    Domestics were butchered shortly after they learned to come to the well platform or concrete porch pad to crap . Whats up with geese and concrete ?

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:Is it just me, or does anyone find it hilarious that this little post script is added after a question about when to butcher the little cuties. [​IMG]

Does goose taste like duck? I don't like duck, so I've always wondered if it would be worth it to try goose or if I'd just be disappointed.

8. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Is it just me, or does anyone find it hilarious that this little post script is added after a question about when to butcher the little cuties. [​IMG]

Does goose taste like duck? I don't like duck, so I've always wondered if it would be worth it to try goose or if I'd just be disappointed.

Wild goose , slow cooked on a rack in a covered roasting pan , tastes very much like a beef roast .
    ........ and yeah , I may be just in a sleepy/silly mood , but the mingling of [​IMG] and [​IMG] cracks me up .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Mmm, I love beef roast, that sounds absolutely fabulous.

Great . . . I'm getting a couple of geese soon, mainly for egg crafts and general adorableness, and now I'm scared that every time I look at them I'll start to salivate.

10. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Actually I got a chuckle out of somebody saying " Try smoking a goose " . [ I think I need to try getting some sleep ] I rejected domestic duck and goose as a child , but its time to try them again 'cause my tastes have changed with age .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by