When to butcher geese?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GraceAK, Jan 22, 2010.

1. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I want to get geese (2 so they can keep each other company) and was hoping to get Pilgrims or American Buffs. I want to get them in the spring so that they would be ready to eat by christmas or whatever other holiday warrants it. The problem I have is.... How long do they take to get up to eating size? What is the regular eating size? I've looked everywhere and can't find a thing about this....

Those goslings sure are cute! [​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Gotta go to bed now but I promise I'll find you the answer in the morning!

3. GraceAK

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to my answer! [​IMG]

4. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Edited post. This section is for discussing the raising and butchering of meat birds. If this is not to your taste, please refrain from posting in the Meat Birds section. Thank you. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well.... I think if you get them in May they will be ready for Christmas.... They take a bit of time to grow out.

4-6 months

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    In Olden England it was considered wastefull to butcher a goose before Michaelmas (September 29 th) "michaelmas was also one of the English and Welsh and Irish quarter days when accounts had to be settled. On manors, it was the day when a reeve was elected from the peasants. Traditional meal for the day includes goose (a "stubble-goose", i.e. one prepared around harvest time)" Of course I don't know when geese hatch in England but assume it is the same as here.

7. GraceAK

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Oh, okay, thanks guys! [​IMG]

8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You can do it from 9-12 weeks, but if you go past 12 weeks it is best to wait another 6-10 weeks before doing it. Sorry for taking so long, the thread got moved and I got confused haha

9. Soph xo

Soph xo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Australia
    Edited post. This section is for discussing the raising and butchering of meat birds. If this is not to your taste, please refrain from posting in the Meat Birds section. Thank you. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
  10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    The OP asked about processing, not your opinion on whether they should eat them or not.

Good luck, I've never eaten goose but I would love to try some. Maybe some day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by