When to butcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
So I found out that the feed store isn't going to sell the Red Rangers this year unless it's special order, something I can't afford. I decided to go with the Rhode Island Red instead. I know there are better breeds for meat but this is the only breed I feel comfortable butchering. The feed store only sells sexed pullets so I'm trying to figure out when to butcher them and how much they should be weighing at butcher.

What age will they be ready to butcher?
What weight should they weigh at butcher? (lbs)

this is the only breed I feel comfortable butchering. The feed store only sells sexed pullets so I'm trying to figure out when to butcher them and how much they should be weighing at butcher.
I'm not sure why that's the only breed you'll consider. I'd be OK with any dual purpose breed and would look for a straight run bin hoping to get several cockerels. But that is your decision.

What age will they be ready to butcher?
Pullets are different from cockerels in that they don't get the hormone rush during puberty the boys do. The meat does not get as flavorful or develop the texture nearly as quickly as the boys do so you have more flexibility as to how you cook them. You are probably looking more at when they quit growing rapidly instead of worrying about texture and flavor.

I don't butcher my pullets very young. I butcher my cockerels at 16 to 23 weeks as that suits how I raise them and cook them. I typically butcher my pullets at 8 months after I've seen them lay eggs so I can pick which ones I want to keep as replacements. So I haven't paid that much attention to their rate of growth. To avoid feeding them a lot with practically no weight gain I'd think around 16 weeks at the most.

What weight should they weigh at butcher? (lbs)
No idea but it will not be much. Pullets just don't put on the meat like cockerels do. Even when I let them go to 8 months there is not a lot of meat there. Pullets are not efficient to raise for meat. You can eat them, I do eat mine, but I raise them for other purposes and eat them instead of selling them.

I'm not sure why that's the only breed you'll consider. I'd be OK with any dual purpose breed and would look for a straight run bin hoping to get several cockerels. But that is your decision.

Pullets are different from cockerels in that they don't get the hormone rush during puberty the boys do. The meat does not get as flavorful or develop the texture nearly as quickly as the boys do so you have more flexibility as to how you cook them. You are probably looking more at when they quit growing rapidly instead of worrying about texture and flavor.

I don't butcher my pullets very young. I butcher my cockerels at 16 to 23 weeks as that suits how I raise them and cook them. I typically butcher my pullets at 8 months after I've seen them lay eggs so I can pick which ones I want to keep as replacements. So I haven't paid that much attention to their rate of growth. To avoid feeding them a lot with practically no weight gain I'd think around 16 weeks at the most.

No idea but it will not be much. Pullets just don't put on the meat like cockerels do. Even when I let them go to 8 months there is not a lot of meat there. Pullets are not efficient to raise for meat. You can eat them, I do eat mine, but I raise them for other purposes and eat them instead of selling them.
I'll be selling all but 2 to people that feed whole prey to their dogs if that helps.

Then you aren't worrying about texture, flavor, or cooking, just pounds. I'll stick with 16 weeks as the best you will do, but no idea what the actual weight will be.

Is there a particular reason that you're limited to one feed store's chicken pens?

Are there other feed stores within a reasonable drive?

Is there some reason that you don't want to order meat birds (or, at least, a cheap "fry pan special" assortment), from a hatchery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom