When to butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Celtic Hill, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So instead of trying to sell or give away my packing peanuts I decided im going to raise and butcher them. I was wondering when should they be butchered? They are Barred rocks and Production Reds?

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I'll be watching this one, as I was going to ask the same question. I have BA, sexlink, orp mixes.

3. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Regular chickens can be processed anytime between 5 to 8 months for tender meat or any time after that for moist heat cooking methods (stewing hens or pressure cooked for soup, etc.) Good idea to put roos in a smaller pen away from the girls. They'll run around less and the dark meat will be more tender. Packing peanuts are nearly always roos.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've always heard eighteen to twenty weeks.

5. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    This is gonna sound gross but - what do you do with the "parts" and blood after you butcher them? I am putting down 2 today. Don't want to leave stuff that might attract predators to the area because my girls are pets.

6. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Bury deep in the garden - a shovel blade's depth at least. This has worked for me with the rodent wars, as well as those carp my uncle paid me a quarter a piece for when I was a little kid. (he had the BEST roses - and those people were Serious in the neighborhood about their Roses and Tomatoes).

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    There really isn't a lot of stuff to clean up when butchering a chicken. Maybe 1/2 cup of blood or less, and the guts can fit in a large hand. If I don't feel like burning, I just put them in a plastic bag and they go out in the garbage. Same with feathers - burn or compost or grocery sack and garbage.

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Yeah, I would say around 20 weeks to get some meat on those birds. The longer you wait I think the better they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by