When to butcher?

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
So instead of trying to sell or give away my packing peanuts I decided im going to raise and butcher them. I was wondering when should they be butchered? They are Barred rocks and Production Reds?

Regular chickens can be processed anytime between 5 to 8 months for tender meat or any time after that for moist heat cooking methods (stewing hens or pressure cooked for soup, etc.) Good idea to put roos in a smaller pen away from the girls. They'll run around less and the dark meat will be more tender. Packing peanuts are nearly always roos.

This is gonna sound gross but - what do you do with the "parts" and blood after you butcher them? I am putting down 2 today. Don't want to leave stuff that might attract predators to the area because my girls are pets.

Bury deep in the garden - a shovel blade's depth at least. This has worked for me with the rodent wars, as well as those carp my uncle paid me a quarter a piece for when I was a little kid. (he had the BEST roses - and those people were Serious in the neighborhood about their Roses and Tomatoes).

There really isn't a lot of stuff to clean up when butchering a chicken. Maybe 1/2 cup of blood or less, and the guts can fit in a large hand. If I don't feel like burning, I just put them in a plastic bag and they go out in the garbage. Same with feathers - burn or compost or grocery sack and garbage.

Quote:
Yeah, I would say around 20 weeks to get some meat on those birds. The longer you wait I think the better they are.

Back
Top Bottom