when to candle?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Loretta212, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    I have duck eggs in the bator ...magpies, cayugas and sweedish. I really want to try not to handle the eggs and was wondering what other people do for candleing. Do you candle more than once or wait until day 25 before moving them out of the turner? Thank you!

2. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    You won't be able to see anything until day 8 or 9, but you can candle at least once a day. Never keep the eggs out of the incubator for over 30 minutes.
    You would miss so much if you waited until day 25!! I saw a heartbeat at day 9 with my Mallards :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    I am a candle-a-holic LOL I have some pics of almost every day when ive done incubation before! haha i know its better for the eggs not to be handled so much but I cant resist wanting to see them grow!

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Candling is truly awesome, it is amazing to see those embryos move and develop. Do take care with your eggs, tho, don't allow them to twist. My personal feeling is that it is probly best to leave them be, as much as possible after your curiosity is satisfied however. But it is so much fun, and so neat to see! Search Metzer's page on candling, very good info there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by