when to change the food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rita2paul, Mar 27, 2018.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Songster

Aug 31, 2011
    Gloucestershire
    my chicks are now 6 weeks old, they are on chick crumb when should i change to growers, then to layers, what should they be please.

2. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    HI, my chicks have a week change over with chick crumb to grower...then same when I change them onto layer pellets ..when I mix both feeds reducing the one they are coming off and increasing the new food over the week...
    Rather than waffle on about percentages etc etc ...
    Here’s a great link that tells you everything in a nutshell ...
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/12/quick-reference-feed-guide-chick-to.html

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    rita2paul likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Read the labels. Some grower feeds are formulated for meat birds, with a much lower protein content to slow and control the growth rate. You need a feed with at least 18% protein content and should not exceed 2% calcium. And you don't actually need to switch to layer feed at all. They can get all the calcium they need from crushed oyster shell. If you do switch to layer feed, wait till everybody is actually laying eggs. Switching to layer feed too soon can dramatically slow down development.

rita2paul and nminusyplusm like this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's easiest to feed an all-flock feed to all the birds, and not ever feed layer. With young birds, cockbirds, molting hens, etc, feeding oyster shell separately makes the most sense.
    Mary

rita2paul likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    There's not really a magic cutoff so I fed chick crumble until about 5 or 6 weeks or so... basically when I ran out, I switched over. I fed grower until they all began laying. Now they get half layer pellets, half grower mash.

rita2paul likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: