When to cover the window?

BantammChick

🤠
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
It is getting really cold. Last night it got below 20 degrees. My chicken coop has a small space at the top on the front with chicken wire to let the air in when it's warm. It's kind of like a chicken window. And I have a tarp to cover it with when it gets really cold. I have 38 birds that roost in the coop. 11 guineas and 27 chickens. When should I cover up their window??

@DobieLover The roosts are in the back of the coop, and the window is at the front. As for height, they are both at the same level... @hillbilly91 You are probably right. They get on the roost and cuddle up together, except for a few crazy chickens I have that like to roost in the nest boxes on their own.
Thanks for your help

@DobieLover The roosts are in the back of the coop, and the window is at the front. As for height, they are both at the same level... @hillbilly91 You are probably right. They get on the roost and cuddle up together, except for a few crazy chickens I have that like to roost in the nest boxes on their own.
Thanks for your help
That's a bad habit. I would raise the roost or lower the nesting boxes you stop that. Also adding another roost + doing the other will help

I usually put plastic over the windows when nighttime temps get near zero. I wouldn't do anything for your weather, but it's personal preference, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom