When to cull old hens??

Pics
My main goal in starting with chickens was to 'get closer to my food'...that includes slaughtering for meat.

Nah, depends on how you prepare and cook them.....they are nothing like a grocery bird tho unless you slaughter before about 14 weeks....even then, nothing is as soft as a factory farmed 8 week old CX.
Can you please describe how a 2 or 3 year old layer would taste? Also texture wise? I've eaten game birds before and like the texture with them. Is it similar?

Can you please describe how a 2 or 3 year old layer would taste? Also texture wise? I've eaten game birds before and like the texture with them. Is it similar?
Tastes like chicken! :D
Really good chicken...just more flavorful than a grocery bird....
sorry, I really don't know how to describe it. I've never had game birds.

Texture wise......it is essential to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for at least 48-72 hours before cooking or freezing, or it will be unchewable...the older the bird, the longer you should rest it.
The last hens I slaughtered (3yo) I let rest for 4 days, then pressure cooked as usual...I pressure cook all the parts for about an hour at high pressure(15psi), remove all the meat then cook everything else for another couple hours or so for a rich gelatinous stock/bone broth.....meat was tender enough to slice for a sandwich, instead of cutting up in small pieces for soup/stew or salad or pot pie.

It's all an acquired taste and sensation. One thing I've learned is you get more stock than meat, kind of disappointing at first, but the stock is so rich it satisfies my meat cravings.

Tastes like chicken! :D
Really good chicken...just more flavorful than a grocery bird....
sorry, I really don't know how to describe it. I've never had game birds.

Texture wise......it is essential to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for at least 48-72 hours before cooking or freezing, or it will be unchewable...the older the bird, the longer you should rest it.
The last hens I slaughtered (3yo) I let rest for 4 days, then pressure cooked as usual...I pressure cook all the parts for about an hour at high pressure(15psi), remove all the meat then cook everything else for another couple hours or so for a rich gelatinous stock/bone broth.....meat was tender enough to slice for a sandwich, instead of cutting up in small pieces for soup/stew or salad or pot pie.

It's all an acquired taste and sensation. One thing I've learned is you get more stock than meat, kind of disappointing at first, but the stock is so rich it satisfies my meat cravings.

Thanks for all the info, this is really helpful.

:gig
Well, I can feel your calm reason, even thru the internet...and I'm a bit of a hothead.
I've enjoyed your posts.

You? A hothead? :eek:

getting in on the tail end.... I hope to raise up Dual purpose birds. The Wellsummers I had were just that... Good sturdy birds very decent layers and non broody.

Culling is probably the wrong word here... Killing and processing for food is a more Non candy coated expression to it. Culling implies removing an animal from a breeding point of view IN my mind. which can involve killing but other ways is to move them on to another home. How ever you want to say it.... :confused: thats how I think of it.

If its got a name its got a home with me for life.... And Yes Chickens can live up to 12 years barring Accident, illness and predation. I will be raisng Guineas and No Way in Heck will I be naming them.

So Ihave a Pet/Livestock mentality... Because once I start going with Chickens again they will be my primary source for protien. Eggs and meat. I keep all the roos because I have so many predators... They dont usually last very long.

But I do want to give Meaties a try just because I know I will get attached to even my wellies.

deb

In that case, if it were me... If you really want some chicks out of them, I would get something to add to their water like Nutri-Drench or there's a Rooster Booster product that's usually available in stores, for added vitamins and minerals. Also, get yourself a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and weigh the older girls' eggs. If they're much over 65 grams, they're going to give you trouble and I'd quit trying.
While I agree to the recommendations of extra vitamins Andy minerals the weight of eggs is a first for me.
I have hens that are coming up on 4th summer of laying. I gave 12 large eggs from these old hens and 10 of the 12 hatched with zero issues. My chickens
are Orpingtons, RIReds, Maran, a few crossbreeds too. My roo that is with this flock is also soon to be 4 years.
You’ve got my curiosity up about the egg weights. You’ve given me a project to do this Fall.

I don't cull either, one of the biggest reason I keep my flock small. The two elders will be hitting three years this summer so i'll be trying to hatch a daughter from each in case predation or illness takes them.
I will be giving those ladies extra vitamins "poly vi sol" and mixing calf manna into their feed about a month before gathering hatching eggs from them.
Both old girls lay eggs over 65grams but that has always been their normal so I don't expect issues, of course I may have some but that is just how it goes.:)
Mine a regular layers of fat heavy eggs as well and I’ve not had an issue of deformities or quitters.

Back
Top Bottom