When to cull old hens??

Pics

LunaMarieWolf

Songster
Dec 31, 2018
Wister, OK
I have some hens I got for a gift from my grandparents. I've had them for a year now, and they were older hens when I got them.

They aren't putting out many eggs and its's costing more to feed them than the eggs they are putting out. Plus it seems like I will have to invest in more expensive feed if I decide to use their eggs for hatching eggs.

I don't know how old they are, but they are looking a bit ragged. Is it time to cull them or should I let them keep on?

And what is a average life span that you guys let your laying hens live to?

I made a couple of posts in response to the OP and a general comment. The first post a serious alternative view and the second (notice the tongue out emicon) as a bit of humor.
Later in the thread you seem to have taken exception to the second post and implied my view was ridiculous. So far, I have been polite and done my utmost to avoid any confrontation.
See ...there are those ruffled feathers again, on both sides, and it seems like sometimes when we get into a discussion where people have different, sometimes strongly held opinions, that happens. I imagine that if we were all sitting in a nice, comfy room with some cups of tea or coffee or whatever (maybe a nice bowl of Hagen Daaz ice cream!) this wouldn't happen, because we'd be watching each others' faces for signs of how our words were being taken - a smile, a nod, a slight frown or tightening of the mouth - the things that primates judge reactions by. But since we have none of that (though I may get ice cream later!) our INTENDED 'meaning behind the text' can get misinterpreted or trampled. We'd never be snippy or snarky or holier-than-thou in person, right? Of course not. But the anonymity of text replies and limited ability of emojis to confirm our intent can trip us up. :th
Some would never eat a chicken. It's a beloved pet! Some want to eat their own produced meat in a healthy and humane manner and detest the factory farm type of raising animals and have said 'no more' to that. Which is right?
Both.
It's a matter of your own philosophy. Whatever works for you.
But please - be kind. (and I am in NO WAY criticizing ANY of the posters on either side, just asking for kindness and gentleness.) We can find so much cruelty and unhappiness on the news on most days, let's all hug each other and eat ice cream and love chickens for whatever reason and marvel at the fact that people from all over the world can talk in this amazing forum and share their thoughts and knowledge! :celebrate:hugs:wee:yesss::thumbsup

There is often a guilt to this decision, but it is unrealistic. They do not need to be forever friends. Treat them well, use good husbandry, and when one needs to be culled for what ever reason, do it as quickly and humanly as possible.

It is ok to keep a flock, and birds come and go in it. If they have had a good life, and a quick moment, you have done fine.

Mrs K

It depends on your set up.
I free range with multiple groups, each group having at least one rooster.
I don't kill hens that are no longer productive. They have other functions in a flock that has nothing to do with their egg laying capacity. My senior hens are invaluable to the safety and learning of the new flock members. Each year I let a few hens sit and hatch. This way there are always egg productive hens in each group. Each year some get predated. I would lose many more if it wasn't for the senior flock members who teach the younger ones what is expected in the way of behavior withing the flock and what they have learn't over the years about safe routes, best foraging, roosting habits, responses towards humans and the other animals here.
I would by preference rather the more senior hens sat and hatched. they have a proven track record. In most species the old teach the young and I believe in my keeping circumstances if I killed the more senior flock members (I'm talking 7 to 10 year olds)
then I would likely end up with a flock of very productive but know nothing predator bait.

Theres no one right answer to this. Each must decide for themselves where that breaking point for return on investment is, or if there is one.
I, personally, dont keep "freeloaders", those not pulling their weight in production. Previously I was not limited by space and had the infrastructure for hatching, etc. so a good broody, for example, might earn a place even if she wasn't a producer.....or an "old steady eddy" that I could count on to provide good leadership and structure in the flock.
Now I am limited and eggs are as important to me as the joy of having the birds, so I cycle birds frequently. I replace at least 1/2 my flock each year and keep no birds past the second laying cycle (about 30 months)....this allows me to sell the birds as they still have some productive time left, but over had the benefit of the two cycles that are generally the best of a hens productive life. In your case, I would cull for personal use or find soneo e that wanted retired layers

My original flock is six years old. They are still laying regularly and are still healthy and active. I have younger hens and I just got chicks this month, but they will join my girls, not replace them.

I don't really like eggs so they are more of a bonus for my friends and family who do like them. I just really enjoy having chickens around. They are so entertaining.

What about roosters? When is the time to cull them?? I have a rooster who is getting mean towards humans and towards the other hens (pulling out clumps of feathers for no reason, leaving the run littered with feathers). And that is not going to fly with me.

Also, I only consider one hen a true pet, and she is still laying fairly well.

Almost all my hens I have are dual purpose thankfully.
Sounds like he's ready to go any time...

Can you please describe how a 2 or 3 year old layer would taste? Also texture wise? I've eaten game birds before and like the texture with them. Is it similar?
Tastes like chicken! :D
Really good chicken...just more flavorful than a grocery bird....
sorry, I really don't know how to describe it. I've never had game birds.

Texture wise......it is essential to rest the cleaned carcass in the fridge for at least 48-72 hours before cooking or freezing, or it will be unchewable...the older the bird, the longer you should rest it.
The last hens I slaughtered (3yo) I let rest for 4 days, then pressure cooked as usual...I pressure cook all the parts for about an hour at high pressure(15psi), remove all the meat then cook everything else for another couple hours or so for a rich gelatinous stock/bone broth.....meat was tender enough to slice for a sandwich, instead of cutting up in small pieces for soup/stew or salad or pot pie.

It's all an acquired taste and sensation. One thing I've learned is you get more stock than meat, kind of disappointing at first, but the stock is so rich it satisfies my meat cravings.

It all goes back to "are chickens pets or livestock?" If they're livestock, the chicken keeper is going to practice husbandry that works best for their operation. If you have unlimited funds or space and don't need to cull, great. When one is trying to manage their space, time, money and flock efficiently, one sometimes has to make decisions about who to keep and who not to keep. It's a matter of economics. If they're pets, you just keep them all.

Mine are livestock. I do cull when laying slows dramatically or stops. You can tell who's laying by checking vents and pelvic bones. I also look at combs and wattles to let me know who's laying. Know your flock, and you'll know who's laying.

Back
Top Bottom