When to cull?

Bradley Wheeler

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2018
When breeding for SOP and exhibition, at what age do you cull?

I understand some qualities can be spotted at hatch, but at what age can you decide you have a quality bird?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I grow mine out. If I can tell they aren't up to my expectations... I sell off females to someone that doesn't care about SOP. And we eat the extra males.

Really there are a lot of things that you can't tell at hatch. specifically how they will feather in or their attitude.

Not sure what age you can say for sure... I have had some of my males mini molt and change their color some or still have it coming in at 9 months. For my breeders, not the ones I'm selling... I think at least one year, but until after molt would be more ideal since many birds won't get their FULL color until then.

Breeding quality is no easy task. But the challenge is interesting and the reward is fun.

What breed are you working with?

I cull from day one until they go into my breeder pens at around 16-18 months. Culling for crooked toes or keel bones is easy to spot and can be done fairly early. Culling for incorrect feathers can be done next after their second molt "this is usually when leakage will show up". And culling for type/shape is done last. They need to be fully or very near fully mature to see how their end shape is going to be. Its not until they are fully mature can you say whether or not you have a quality bird. Whether you are picking a bird for the show or for your breeder pens.

I cull from day one until they go into my breeder pens at around 16-18 months. Culling for crooked toes or keel bones is easy to spot and can be done fairly early. Culling for incorrect feathers can be done next after their second molt "this is usually when leakage will show up". And culling for type/shape is done last. They need to be fully or very near fully mature to see how their end shape is going to be. Its not until they are fully mature can you say whether or not you have a quality bird. Whether you are picking a bird for the show or for your breeder pens.

Is there an age where you can make a confident decision? Say you have 30 juveniles, but really only have room to grow out 15 at a time to maturity. About when would I be able to make a decent guess?

I'm just really trying to see what kind of grow out operation I'll need to invest in over the next couple of months.

If you have to cull juveniles then study your standard hard. Rule out any that don't fit the standard first.

If you have to cull juveniles then study your standard hard. Rule out any that don't fit the standard first.

Thanks for the advice! I'm most interested in the blrw so I've been reading up on Jerry Foley's proposed standards along with wyandotte standards in general.

Some can make a pretty decent assessment at around 3 months, especially if familiar with the strain. (This is discussed in detail in Call of the Hen in regards to culling cockerels of laying breeds.) Not everyone of those would ultimately be a keeper, but it lets you narrow it down somewhat while allowing you to slaughter most surplus cockerels at an economical stage. Once they are more mature you can do your final cullings. This wouldn’t be acceptable to every breeder but it may be a convenient compromise for others. To a large extent it also depends what you are breeding for and what lengths you are willing/able to put into it as well obviously... its all about tradeoffs..

Back
Top Bottom