When to cull?

timco

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
We have 4 girls who are now 4 years old. Egg production has defiantly dropped. Do you allow them to live out their lives or do you cull & stew? We are back yard farmers, not real farmers so this would be an experience. Just curious as to what backyard farmers do with older girls.

Thanks! Tim

I guess alot depends on your setup and how many your allowed to have. You will get different people saying different things. Alot will say they will allow them to live out their lives no matter what but what if you can have on 3 chickens, etc. and you like all them eggs. Can't keep non laying chickens and get new ones to lay when your limited to a certain amount! Others will tell you that when they stop laying they will have to go becuase everyone has their purpose on the farm.

I guess what I'm trying to say is everyones situation is different. You have to figure out what's best for you!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

made mine pets( I know, I know, never make farm animals pets, to late). I hope to have them for many years, eggs or not.

I am not limited on the number of chickens I can have, so....

At some point I may cull out of my younger flock, for a variety of reasons, but my adult flock of brahmas - my first flock - will live out their lives here.

We all have different goals and circumstances. My goals include meat and eggs, plus I like to play around with different color mixes to see what I get when I hatch them. None of mine will ever see their third birthday, but they chase bugs and raise families. I think they have a decent life. None would have lived at all if I had not hatched and raised them for this purpose.

Last edited:
This is a personal decision only you can make.

I have a few birds that I've allowed my girls to name that will live out their lives here until they finally expire of whatever it is that's going to do them in. The rest are only here until their profitable laying years are over then they go to the swap or the block. At four years of age I'd say if you don't want life time pets then it's time for them to serve a higher purpose.

Back
Top Bottom