when to euthanize ?

Wmaddox

Songster
May 23, 2020
around christmas my hen laid a lash egg. i took her to the vet ( not a chicken expert) who tool an xray consulted w a collegue said she had minerilization in her oviduct,Then she started leaking out of her vent a whitish yellow substance. i found an online avian vet who told me to try cephalexin and children’s motrin. i tried that for 5 weeks and it didnt help. i sent a picture of dropping to online avian ver who said they were typical anorexic droppings and she could have a GI obstruction. my hen has gotten skinny. i can feel her breast bone protruding. she lets me scoop her up. she naps alot all puffed up. i see her drink water and shell eat blueberries from my hand. she has also started loosing hair around comb. shes definetly not improving and she isnt her self. when will i know if its time to euthanize?

I'm sorry you and your hen are going through this.
This is a hard question and ultimately you're the only one who can decide. But here are the things I think about in a situation like this. First, is the animal suffering? If the answer is yes, then there's a good chance it's time. Second, can the animal recover? If the suffering is temporary, then I wouldn't euthanize. I would do all I could to help the animal recover as soon as possible with a minimum of suffering. But if it's not going to recover and is suffering, I start thinking euthanasia is the right choice.

With chickens, as with many animals, it can be difficult to determine whether they are suffering. Unlike humans they don't moan and complain. They are very stoic. They hide their weakness and discomfort as a survival skill so they don't appear weak to predators. So the fact that your chicken is laying down a lot, not eating well and fluffing up her feathers, these are all signs that she is probably in extreme discomfort.

I can't tell you what to do. But if she were a bird in my flock - I would definitely put her down as soon as possible, and consider it a kindness to do so. Best wishes as you make your decision. :hugs

This is a hard question and ultimately you're the only one who can decide. But here are the things I think about in a situation like this. First, is the animal suffering? If the answer is yes, then there's a good chance it's time. Second, can the animal recover? If the suffering is temporary, then I wouldn't euthanize. I would do all I could to help the animal recover as soon as possible with a minimum of suffering. But if it's not going to recover and is suffering, I start thinking euthanasia is the right choice.

With chickens, as with many animals, it can be difficult to determine whether they are suffering. Unlike humans they don't moan and complain. They are very stoic. They hide their weakness and discomfort as a survival skill so they don't appear weak to predators. So the fact that your chicken is laying down a lot, not eating well and fluffing up her feathers, these are all signs that she is probably in extreme discomfort.

I can't tell you what to do. But if she were a bird in my flock - I would definitely put her down as soon as possible, and consider it a kindness to do so. Best wishes as you make your decision. :hugs
Agreed .... good love, good care ... time to let go in peace.

Chasing Butterflies .....

Thank you for your thorough reply and kindness.

We're still here with you .... lean into us .... much love ...
Thank you. This is so hard, she will still eat blueberries out of my hand so i just am not sure if shes ready to go or if she’ll miraculously pass something if its a blockage. She is from my first flock. My favorite girl. She has a bestie im also worried will die of a broken heart if she passes. who knew you could love a chicken this much. Thank you for your support.

Thank you. This is so hard, she will still eat blueberries out of my hand so i just am not sure if shes ready to go or if she’ll miraculously pass something if its a blockage. She is from my first flock. My favorite girl. She has a bestie im also worried will die of a broken heart if she passes. who knew you could love a chicken this much. Thank you for your support.
Sweets, if you have one and can afford one, I'd take her to a vet. If that is an option then you'll know that you did everything that you could. If that's not an option for you, then you know that you've already been doing all that you could. A warm Epsom's salt bath might possibly help, but I don't want to suggest something that might stress you and/or your girl more .... you'd have to judge that.
Maybe try to find a vet, okay? If you get stuck on the money give me a hollar back.

Who knew, indeed. I’ve lost two this year, and it’s so bizarre, like one day they are squeaking about wanting to forage, then the next day it’s too far gone. I just lost Ms. Betty White this week, and as long as she would accept the soft food we put in her mouth after she stoped eating or drinking on her own. The one thing I stopped short of doing was tubing her food. She passed the same day we last fed her, but honestly, we had been treating her for weeks with no up tick in health, so I am glad she is out of her misery. It’s still sad, but as long as she is eating, I say let her. Maybe will have some good suggestions for you that might just turn it all around.

Good luck 🍀

Where do y'all live? I don't see a town, let alone a state on your profile, so I don't know how to help you find a vet clinic with a lab.

I'm so sorry about your hen. Chickens bring a joy that's so different from other pets. When to let go is the hardest decision we have to make, because we always hope we could do more. When I was in the situation, my avian vet said chickens try so hard to seem ok, that when they actually show they're having a problem it's usually something serious.

As to your question of when to euthanize, you said it yourself that she's losing weight, isn't improving, and isn't her self. Since it is a matter of when, I say do it when YOU are ready (well, as ready as you can be). Know that you did what you could, consulting vets 3 times in 3 months.

Much love to you and your girl, and her bestie too ❤️ :hugs

Back
Top Bottom