When to expect a crow?

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
I have 22 babies about 5 months old and not one of my boys have crowed! I know I have a bunch of roo's (thanks to BYC members) but what is wrong with them or is it too early? Some of the hens have started to lay too.
barnie.gif
idunno.gif
barnie.gif

Ain't that a stinker!
debiraymond is right, though.
They do what they want and when they want. And certainly not all at the same time. Some will take longer than others.

I notice that only the top 2-3 roosters (in the pecking order) will crow. Not all are vocal. It is possible, although it is a 10000-1 shot, that all your top rooster are just quiet.

Some breeds develop faster than others. My cochins and langshans, for instance, didn't crow until 6-7 months old. My Lakenvelder crowed at 7 weeks.

Trust me on this one ..... stay awake all night so you are really sleepy. Then try to get some sleep the next afternoon. They will crow!
wink.png

Seriously .... they will crow when they are ready. Be patient!
smile.png

My roo started crowing about 11 weeks old and now that my RIW are about that age they are starting to crow too..but my RIR he has quite a vocal voice on him and he also started about 11 weeks old.

I have two young 11-week-old roos who crow off and on all day long, and they've been doing so since they were around 8 weeks. I guess it's just like the person upthread said - they do it when they're good and ready!

I have two 16 week old roos and a 23 week old roo, and none of them crow regularly. One of them crowed 3x a few weeks ago...and I've heard some odd noises out of them here and there, but no real loud crowing.

I hope they never crow, because I live in a subdivision. Wishful thinking, right?

Back
Top Bottom