When to expect consistent lay times

Titantherooster

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
Hi all, back in March I bought about a dozen chicken (and some ducks too) from local tractor supply store. They were raised on organic feed and given lots of love and have been free ranging in our woods since the end of April. We got our first eggs from nearly all of the new hens on the same day. Since then however I think only one of my Easter eggers or Americauna is laying a smaller green egg but it’s weird that I’m not seeing more since they all strangely laid on the same day (night of the full moon last week).

How long does it take to see new hens laying eggs consistently most days? I’ve got 7 new hens of various breeds (eggers, Americauna, Orpington and Crele pescandara) and assumes I would be seeing boxes full of eggs by now lol. Thoughts from any experienced chicken keepers?

Agree with @TooCheep. We keep ours confined in their coop/run area until about 3:00 in the afternoon, then let them free range. By then most have laid. But with young birds or those newly acquired, best to not free range for a couple of weeks to train them to use the nests. Also, put golf balls or fake eggs in the nests until they lay there consistently. Goid luck!

Is it not common that new hens won’t simply lay daily from their first egg? I thought I’d seen elsewhere that they can take days or weeks to begin laying consistently? However I did catch my one egger laying today so I do belive she is laying daily now. I’m going to try keeping them in the coop for several days to train them to lay there just to be sure.

Last summer I had my first two layers and they both laid late morning/early afternoon like clockwork. Not every day, but most days, and it was always before 2pm. It got a bit later in the colder months but was pretty consistent even then. When they laid their first eggs, I think maybe there was a day in between eggs 1 and 2 for each bird, but not any longer than that.

I’m going to try keeping them in the coop for several days to train them to lay there just to be sure.
Last summer I had my first two layers and they both laid late morning/early afternoon like clockwork. Not every day, but most days, and it was always before 2pm.

It is up to you, but I'd recommend what @Whigru said. You can still let them out in the later afternoon/evening for forage. Once they are well-trained you might even ease up from that, but you risk them finding that nice spot on the forest to lay at some point. You'll know a problem has developed if your production drops off suddenly. My three girls now forage pretty much all day and don't lay outside, but then they don't have a large woods to run around in.

Is it not common that new hens won’t simply lay daily from their first egg? I thought I’d seen elsewhere that they can take days or weeks to begin laying consistently? However I did catch my one egger laying today so I do belive she is laying daily now. I’m going to try keeping them in the coop for several days to train them to lay there just to be sure.
Yep, it can take some time, but some birds/breeds will never lay daily.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Yep time to learn to chase down the egg songs and sleuth out the nest. Are you missing anyone she may be brooding a nest of eggs. I was geeky and timed my girls once and they were on a consistent 28 hour cycle(Sumatra) to lay. Ok so I probably had too much free time there. It has been my experience during summer time when they are in lay they are laying. Dead/missing chicken have resurrected themselves with chicks in tow. You name it.

Yep, it can take some time, but some birds/breeds will never lay daily.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Yes pretty much my plan to keep them in the coop til late afternoon early evening assuming I’m seeing eggs and they aren’t “holding” them til evening to go lay elsewhere. We already use fake eggs in the nest boxes which helps. Hoping I don’t have an egg eater.

Back
Top Bottom