When to Feed Layer?

zumzumfoxy

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Hey all!

I want to bring my girls onto Layers' feed/pellets/oyster shell supplement when they're ready. Thing is, I lost my notes on -when- they'll be ready!

-Red, about 16 weeks going on 17 weeks now
-Jet, about 15 weeks going on 16 now
-Chai & Tiramisu (from you), about 18 or 19 weeks now (lost track!)
-Amberbock, 2 weeks behind the rest (youngest girl- got her sometime in May)

Thanks :} The Layena webpage says to do it when they're about 18 weeks old. By my best guess/figuring, that's sometime in early August? When do you guys switch from grower to finisher feed? (I just fed Red some mealworms as a treat since she was pecking off and eating feathers from Stormy.)

Thank you!

You could change them over pretty soon if you wanted to but theres no rush if their on grower now. Right now I have girls from two months to 15 months and their all on grower, it makes feeding a lot simpler as I don't have to worry about who's eating what. The extra protein won't hurt the older girls and if you have oyster shell available the older pullets will take what they need and the younger ones will ignore it. Then when every body is laying you can switch to layer or just stay with the gower, either way works.
Just make sure your feeding grower not medicated starter.

Dan

Where I live you go from starter to /starter/grower or grower/layer. I have started some of mine as early as 4 week and they doing great. In fact the are ready for freezer camp.

Layer feed has calcium in it its not good for growing chicks and shouldn't be given till at least near point of lay.

Quote:
Please let us know *why* you say this. Is it just something you read on these forums or something you know as fact because of the work you do, or ...?

Don't make someone afraid by just stating whatever without backing up *why* you state such. There's no need for anyone to think the worst because they acccidentally fed layer at 4 weeks (which, by the way I've done many time *without* any ill side affects. Why did I do it? It was cheaper at the time and easier for me to keep cleaned up since I'm disabled and bending is like fighting world war 2).

I wound up raising my girls on Manna Pro Medicated Chick Starter, and then Dumor Grower Feed.
smile.png
I've been doing some reading and I decided to go with Purina Layena for their layer food once they're ready. But I'm glad there's no 'set' time on when to switch them over. I thought there was some strict thing that had to be followed for them to get ready to lay properly or something.

@Yonaton: Sorry to hear =< I've been dealing with chronic back pain in 4 spinal injuries for the last few years and it's brutal since I work stock.

Quote:
Growing chicks need calcium to make their bones strong. Chick feed has calcium in it for that purpose, as with chick grit.

I too have heard calcium can be detrimental to chicks however my take is in large quantities is when damage happens. I mean wouldn't some calcium be bad they need some all things need calcium? Just my two cents and ill keep feed some layer in small quantities to chicks as mine free range quite a bit. I also do this since oyster shells aren't all that available in my area

Quote:
Hens need more calcium than chicks, as they make eggs shells every day, but chicks have growing bones and need quite a lot too.

Back
Top Bottom