When to feed pullets Layer Feed?

My closest feed store only has starter mash and layer crumbles on the shelf. When I asked if they carried grow crumbles at all, the woman told me those aren't necessary because everyone just feeds layer crumbles. This was for 4 week old chicks! Another example of bad advice being handed out for free at a feed store. Thanks to this forum I knew better than to believe it!

I had a very thin shelled egg today, and only my oldest pullet has started laying (6 months). I have young pullets too, they are all together. I offer calcium, but can I feed layer to 3 -4 month old pullets?

I have 5 red sex-links and 6 white rocks which are 18 1/2 weeks old. Two days ago I found 7 eggs on the floor. I opened up the nest boxes and yesterday I had 2 eggs. I assumed some of the sex-links had started to lay. Today I got 6 eggs including one which would be classified as large or x-large. Obviously at least one White Rock has to be laying. Is it unusual for white rocks to lay that young? and should a pullet's 3rd or 4th egg be that large? Thanks

Hello to all I'm new to this site. I have just started keeping chicken started with just a few and now I have 41 in all lol so my question is one of my hens just laid her 2 egg and she isn't on layer feed will it hurt my other chickens that are around 11-12 weeks old to eat layer or just feed them grower

According to HenCam.com:
Chick feed is higher protein 18 percent vs 14-16 percent in laying hen pellets Chicks need the higher protein for development. If you feed Layer to chicks younger that 16 weeks they can develop kidney disease. It has to much calcium for young chicks. Mature hens need extra the calcium to develop the egg Shell. If you have a mixed age flock it is best to feed chick
crumbles to the entire flock and offer crushed oyster shell in a dispenser out of reach of the little ones. The higher protein will not harm the older hers over the time it take the chicks to mature.

Back
Top Bottom