1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to feed pullets Layer Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SillyChick, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Hello

We have a young, 5-month old New Hampshire Red pullet, and I'm very excited of her laying me my very first egg. But it's been quite a while now since she got 5 months old and still no squatting and laying. I soon found out about this "Layer Feed" and I thought that I should be feeding her with it now. We are currently feeding her Chicken Grower Mash. When should I be feeding her Layer Feed, soon before or after she starts to lay? Or will she be laying quite late? I heard some had their pullets laying at more than 20 weeks old. Maybe I'm just a little too excited.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    She will lay when she lays. I've read to start feeding them Layer Pellets when they start laying.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can start on layer ration at 5 months. The extra calcium may help her "pop" into egg laying.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I do the layer switch between 16-20 weeks. When ever my last grower bag runs out for that batch of chicks.

5. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    we ran out of grower and the fed store didn't have any more grower so the lady said to just feed layer pellets, they were 14 wks at the time. dire necessity.

6. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    You gota do, what you gota do, but the feed store lady was wrong! All I know is what I research, and 14 weeks is to early for layer rations. The extra calcium can cause problems with bone growth.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    You should wait til you see an egg to switch. 5 mos is still pretty young.

8. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! [​IMG]

I haven't given her calcium yet because it might cause egg-binding(egg stuck in the hen's vent) on her first egg. I'll continue feeding her grower mash until she lays. Thanks again! I'm just too excited for this. Oh, and one more question [​IMG]: She lives with a New Hampshire Red cockerel of the same age in the coop. When she starts laying and I start feeding her layer feed, is it ok for the cockerel to eat it too?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Mine are around 14 wks. Is it okay to hit them with a little bit of scratch? I'm still pushing starter on them.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The rooster should be fine.. mine are.

And a bit of scratch would be fine. Just don't over do it. They will however love you for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by