When to get new chickens?

I get chicks in late spring as I brood outdoors, all 3 batches I've raised have come in May. I was staggering my new additions by 2 years but we're still getting more eggs than I need so I haven't added any since last batch (my birds are 3, 5 and 7 yrs old). I promised hubby we'd get another round of chicks next spring as long as at least one spot opens up, as we're close to capacity.

Since it's Summer in the Northern hemisphere, are you all getting new additions for your flock now, or have you gotten them in Spring?

It's winter where I'm at, and my small flock of pullets have commenced laying. It seems too soon to get more new pullets in the coming Spring.
Yet I'm worried new additions in Summer will stress my current hens at their supposed peak of production.
I'm hoping the new additions will lay a little in autumn and winter while my current ladies moult.

Obviously over-thinking here, but any advice for me please?
I got my chooks in late Autumn which was one of the worst things to have done. It was absolutely freezing even though I'm in South Africa. I'd get them in Spring if I were you.

I get chicks in late spring as I brood outdoors, all 3 batches I've raised have come in May. I was staggering my new additions by 2 years but we're still getting more eggs than I need so I haven't added any since last batch (my birds are 3, 5 and 7 yrs old). I promised hubby we'd get another round of chicks next spring as long as at least one spot opens up, as we're close to capacity.
When you stagger the new additions by 2 years, do you find you go without eggs for the first winter when there are no new pullets laying?
I'd like to keep my flock small so I'm happy to wait two years before adding if I can, but I've went 4 months without eggs this autumn/winter. I enjoy my hens as they are, but it's hard to sustain children's interest when there are no eggs.

Depends on each unique situation. Subtropical people like me should probably aim for fall, so the birds can integrate in a relaxed manner

What snow people do I have no idea
Is fall a more relaxed time because they are taking a break from laying?

I've gotten chicks in mid-March, mid-May, and mid-June. That seems to work well for me. I want to be able to move them outside at 6 weeks, so mid-March is the earliest I'll get chicks.

I hope my next chicks are broody raised. That would open the timing up a bit.
Do your mid June chicks lay in time before winter? Mine were late Dec chicks, which translates to your late June I guess, but they didn't mature in time before winter.
It's looking like mid-Spring might be the better time for me if I want to go heritage breeds again.

The obvious answer you will get from folks here, is any chance you get. :wee
Personally, I plan on adding four pullets to my tiny flock around October, but you must study your needs and situation. What do you want, what can you handle, is the thing.
I was so stressed out by pecking order antics the first time round, I'm actually not looking forward to new chickens! But right now, I'm at that point where I don't have quite enough eggs to stop buying them, yet almost enough eggs to stop buying them - first world problems 😆😆
So I would like to get a couple more to help beef up/ sustain the production.

Do your mid June chicks lay in time before winter? Mine were late Dec chicks, which translates to your late June I guess, but they didn't mature in time before winter.
It's looking like mid-Spring might be the better time for me if I want to go heritage breeds again.
One started laying in late November, a second in early December. The third waited until February.

Back
Top Bottom