When to give keets greens

happyhippiechik

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
North Carolina
I have keets that are about 5 weeks old and already in their coop for the past week. They are able to get to the grassy areas and I'm sure they're eating the greenery. I have kale, collards and spinach in my garden. Since they have pretty much destroyed the grassy area they are in is it okay to give them some of these greens? Also, what about grit? I put a little bucket in their coop but I'm not sure if they need it already. The are also on a high protein chick starter. Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

Unless you want them to each these greens out of your garden later as they grow up, I wouldn't! Give them grass clippings if you want and some weeds that you have pulled. If they don't like it they won't eat it. This is a good way to start training them to know your voice and when you have a treat. Use the same words as you bring them these goodies and they will associate them with treats. This will come in handy when trying to get them to come back in the coop later on.

The grit is important to digesting the greens and bugs they eat. Have you ever caught a moth for them to eat? I used to catch moths at night by the light and then feed them to them one by one the next morning! So cute and funny!

That's a nice group of keets you got there. Enjoy them. I love the Log in there! LOL

Also I want to welcome you to the group here at BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the information. I'll keep the greens out of their coop. It's not a huge coop so we may be able to just move it around until they are big enough to be out.
I actually breed my own crickets for them and my chickens. At night I've been using an old tall paper cup that I put a few of the small ones in and holding it in the back entrance to the coop I shake it a little and call "keets! keets! keets!" in a high pitched voice and they come running. Once they are all up I close the front doors. Thankfully our neighbors live far enough away that they can't hear my keet call every night. I have been known to scout the garage out at night for any flying things I can find and feed it to them or the chickens. Just started trying my hand at mealworms so we'll see how that goes. I love to be able to give them treats. My chickens are not free range but they do have a pretty good size tractor with attached run.

I so appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Back
Top Bottom