When to give oyster shell?

Skipcurt

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Woodstock, GA
Hi all, my small flock (5) is currently 8 wks old and was thinking forward to egg time so that got me thinking. I've read here that when they're laying eggs that they need calcium for the shell strength.
I'm currently using up the original bag of unmedicated chick starter and have chick grit available when they want it. I'll let them out to forage for 30 mins or so in the early evening so for the most part they're in the coop/run. Every other day or so I'll toss out some scratch grains or small handful of dried mealworms. I've tried some fruit but they did not eat it. I'm also making my first small batch of fermented feed and will be trying that tomorrow.

So the question is when do I introduce oyster shell?

You can add calcium rich greens to your fermented feed when you put it out. Chop it and mix it in just before you give it to them. Chopped fruit can be added too. This practice gets them used to eating both. Later you can toss them the fruit and greens and they will eat them.

I thought I read they should start around 16-18 weeks? And would I start a week or so before or more like a month before?
They do not need extra calcium until they start to lay eggs. Egg production robs their body of calcium. Until they start laying, it is unnecessary. If your birds are laying at 16-18 weeks.. go for it. But add it on the side at free will. Depending on the breed will dictate egg production age. I have some 22 weeks old not laying yet. They are on egg maker feed though. That is providing calcium. I have no need to add extra calcium if no eggs are present yet. Now if they start laying, and they are soft or brittle, then I will offer oyster shell as a booster.
Just my program. Opinions will vary.

I would offer in a separate container at 16 weeks. 20170807_100056.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom