When to give up on egg layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dora, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Dora

Dora Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    My 2 1/2 yr. old fake Auracana hasn't laid an egg since July 8th. I've been making excuses for her - scared by a hawk; unsettled by two new pullets (mid July), molting in September. My 7 month old Cuckoo Maran is laying up to 7 eggs a week, and my 2 1/2 year old Buff Orpington is laying 4-5, so it isn't food or light issues.

Could she still be recovering from her September molt? When do I just give up on her?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Could she have run out of eggs already? How many did she lay each week before stopping in July?

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Sorry to say, she's just old and past her days as a layer. My EEs pooped out about the same age. She probably will not lay again after the molt. It's highly unlikely.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    One of the big hatcheries has a hold recording that tells you that hens only lay until 18 months of age, right up until the first molt, then they are done laying. Unfortunately, this has been my experience with my 2 oldest hens. I am dreading my 3rd molter because she is my best egg layer of all time and she turns 18 months this month. [​IMG]

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Not all breeds quit at 18 months, but many will. They will stop during their molt completely (almost always) and then often start back up again after a couple months. Then they will not lay as regularly as before in many cases. Each bird is a little different, especially depending on breed.

6. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Our 2 RSL are laying right through their molt - one of them daily and another 6 out of 7 days.

7. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've got an EE who has molted twice. She still lays 2-4 eggs a week (depending on season).

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never ever had a hen permanently stop laying at 18 months of age. Utter nonsense. The only reason a hen that young would stop permanently is if she has some sort of cancer or was butchered. [​IMG]

My oldest are now 6 years old and have quit for the winter, but they were all laying 2-5 eggs a week for the summer, starting in March.

If they are healthy they WILL lay again, I promise!

Keep in mind that they have no control over when they lay and when they don't. It isn't a choice for them, it's all hormones and genetics. Keep 'em healthy and you will have eggs for years. [​IMG]

9. Dora

Dora Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the input. To answer an earlier question, she was laying 4-5 eggs per week (after a few weeks off last winter).
    My 2 1/2 yr. old Buff Orpington is still laying 4-5 a week, and they are the same age.

10. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Oh no.... My two Speckled Sussex molted in August and haven't layed since. I was just giving them more time, but now am worried that they will never lay again! They were just one year old in June! I'll give them till Spring anyway. What the heck, I'll give them till forever. Sure wish they would lay though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by