WHen to give up on eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by foothillsfiber, Jan 14, 2012.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Which day do you give up and throw them away. I had 9 in lockdown out of 15 and only 2 hatched. Today is day 22. Thanks

2. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    Don't give up yet! Some chicks might just take a little longer to hatch! I usually get rid of my unhatched eggs around day 26...before they get stinky!

Hope that you have a few more! [​IMG]

3. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I head for every 1 degree below 99.5 they can be delayed one day, or early one day if it is 1 degree above 99.5. You might want to candle them too just in case and break them open in a plastic bag before you throw them away.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I wait till day 24 and then crack them open. Like i just posted on another thread, trying picking up the egg and wiggling it gently. You may be able to hear peeping. On day 21 i had no pips so i picked each egg up and gently shook it. I heard peeping in every egg and a couple hours later all had pipped and zipped their eggs. So you may want to try that. In a day or so, if nothing happens that crack them open and see where you incubating went wrong.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I always wait until Day 25 before I give up on 'em. I'm not one to open the eggs for eggstopsying them, though....

6. Bobwhite-Falcon

Bobwhite-Falcon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    USA
    I have Bobwhite eggs and I don't give up on them until a week after they are due. (or at least until they smell >.<)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by