When to give up or at least check?

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
I had 8 of my own hen's eggs and 5 bantam eggs make it to day 18. All of my eggs have hatched already and we did get one of the bantams to pip but they haven't done anything else. When should I give up and assume they've died? Should I go on and tap the eggs and peep to see if they are alive? With the brooder next to the hatcher I can't tell anymore if its peeping through the hatcher top.

I usually give up on day 25; even if they do hatch that late, they are generally sickly and don't make it anyway. If it's been several days since the pip, then it's probably gone.
sad.png

The egg that is pipped, pipped yesterday mid morning. The others haven't done anything at all. I really hoped they would hatch.
sad.png

My experience has been if they are not hatched by the end of day 22, that they are not going to be chickens I want. What I mean is, that chicken that hatch late are usually weaker and don't grow as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm afraid to wait too long and then one explode or start stinking too. I may see if there's any sounds in them this evening. All the hatches we've had so far have been early.

I just had a feeling the chicks were dead so I took them outside and cracked open their eggs starting with a small hole in the air pocket. All were in fact dead. The one who'd pipped had just made a small hole in its air pocket strait through the egg shell. There was another who'd made a small hole in the air pocket and the rest didn't. Two looked like they hadn't finished absorbing their yolk. All were black rosecombs.

Sorry about your hatch, SGM.

I'm by no means an expert, I am just on day 2 on my first set of eggs. But it seems like I read on a BYC post somewhere that bantams need a little higher humidity?? Not sure, but it may be a place to start...

I'm not completely upset, we did have all 8 of my own eggs hatch. It was just the 5 purebred bantam eggs that didn't. I am thrilled with my little Easter Egger and mixed chick that did hatch. Thanks though. I know there's ups and downs. We'll keep going. I think the fertility is down in my blue hen pen now. The dozen I set last week only has 2 developing. The 10 by my blue hens are all duds.

Back
Top Bottom