When to help...

TXmommy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Texas
So I am going on 24+ hours since pips, I have 10 out of 21 hatched. I can see 2 chicks that have been pipped for over 24 hours and have small holes (about the size of a pea). I can tell one is drying out. Humidity is about 82%. When do I try and help??
Thanks!!

Malinda,

It's hard not to help but if the can't make it out of the egg then they probablly won't make it anyway. I have had a pip take about 36 hours to get out. Sounds like you have the humidity plenty high enough. If you open the door even for just a second during a hatch then it can doom the ones already pipped or zipped. Just about everyone I have helped out of the shell has died within about 12 hours but I still try because I just cant let something die without a chance. What part of Texas? I am near Carthage.

I have helped out a total of 5 chicks hatch. All of them lived and are healthy. Two were completely my fault. Water wells dried up while at work and chicks were totally cemented to the inside of the shells. Last one took me about 24 hours to hatch out, probs with bleeding, but is now a happy, active one month old:)

Back
Top Bottom