When to Incubate Fertile eggs?...

Badboychook

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Hi, just a quick introduction I'm pretty new to the BYC forum my name is Cris and I live in Melbourne Australia,
I have just purchased my first incubator and was looking at hatching my own eggs I was looking at doing around 4 or so egg layers maybe some Wyandotte?, and then maybe half a dozen meat birds like some Cornish X's, the only trouble is I wasn't really sure when the best time of the year would be to do this or does it not matter,
My coop is all set up, feel free to look at my pics and let me know what you think and I have just spent the last couple of day converting the inside by building a brooder for the chicks after they have hatched so the future birds will be separated from the bigger birds later on ;-) like to hear your feed back....

Time of year doesn't really matter though most people do it spring and summer. I like hatching in fall (like now for you). IMO they seem to feather out better when it's cooler than summer. Also, chicks hatched in fall will be laying in spring. I also like processing chickens in cool/cold weather better than hot when there are flies and such about/

Too high temperatures in summer may create problems
last summer it was so hot that my incubator cook the eggs only from the heat created
from the fan and turner motors (heating element was always off)
I incubate spring and fall usually

I'm am Australian and I find that the best time is in spring as fertility is highest. Winter is the worst I think. And summertime seems to hot as I live in Ceduna SA where it reaches 48C.

Thanks a lot for your replys guys, do any of you know much about the Sussex for a table bird?, because the my local poultry farm doesn't see the Cornish X's

Back
Top Bottom