Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Quick recap -
At the moment we have 2 factions of ducks that live in relative harmony for the situation:
-1 male pekin
1 female pekin
They sleep in the large duck pen by the large pond that is shared by everyone (as well as all the wild ducks) 20230401_113618.jpg
- 1 male cayuga
1 female cayuga
1 female silver appleyard
They sleep in the outdoor covered portion of the chicken pen while the new duck pen is being built next to the original by the pond where the pekin live 20230401_113558.jpg
The two males occasionally fight it out over the silver Appleyard or sometimes the cayuga goes after the female pekin but for the most part they are not as aggressive towards each other as was originally feared. Lots of space and the cayuga/SA love going into the woods to hunt.

Enter the new females and the crux of my question.
- 2 Silver Appleyard
2 buff oprington
20230401_113500.jpg

They arrived from Metzer about 2 months ago. I am luckily not worried about their sex this time as they seem fully grown and all 4 quack, are the same size, and have straight tail feathers as of now so I'm optimistic no more males.
They currently sleep in the indoor portion of the chicken pen, which is completely separated from the outdoor.

During the day, the pekin faction and the cayuga/SA faction are released and have free range of the property. Usually spent near or in the pond.
Currently, the four new females spend the day in the empty goat pen with a pool and grass and shade etc which is located at the far right in this photo 20230401_113354.jpg

My question is when can i release the four females in their own with the other ducks
They've all seen each other multiple times always separated by a fence. I've also let the four females run around in the bigger yard just for more space and exposure to the other ducks.
The pekin male is interested and goes and checks it out.
The cayuga male is veeeeery interested. The two times they've been in the same part of the yard (when herding the four female to their sleeping arrangement) the male Cayuga has caught one of them and ive had to throw him off and shoo him away.
The females also spend most of the day at the edge of wherever they are, looking longingly at the pond and seemingly wanting to be part of situation.
And the cayuga/SA well go over and check them out. 20230401_113553.jpg
Im just not sure at what age the females are ready to be free and left to the devices of the other ducks.

We are close to finishing the second duck pen (the next level of hardware cloth goes on today) 20230312_184801.jpg

and then we have to figure out the roofing but that's another topic...next to the original which will then be seperated in the middle so there will be three completely seperated pens, each with a pool that drains, all next to each other so everyone will be in close proximity to help integrate but also separated

I've thought about doing supervised meetings in the big yard with some pools and just see what happens and if i have to kick the male off I can.

Any and all thoughts on when the females are ready or how to do anything are always appreciated

It is good that the others have suggested you wait to put them with your big drake. Especially since they will have access to a pond. Drakes will try to mate with them in the water and possibly drown your young females. They are really pretty ducks and have it made to have all of that land. You are fortunate not to have predators that can get to them. Hawks and Raccoons would go after mine if I had that setup. Good luck with your new young Hens.

It is good that the others have suggested you wait to put them with your big drake. Especially since they will have access to a pond. Drakes will try to mate with them in the water and possibly drown your young females. They are really pretty ducks and have it made to have all of that land. You are fortunate not to have predators that can get to them. Hawks and Raccoons would go after mine if I had that setup. Good luck with your new young Hens.
I think some are concerned with snapping turtles when it comes to ponds? We have raccoons but they seem to only be interested in the ducks feed. Foxes, hawks and eagles.... and that's our back yard :-(

I think some are concerned with snapping turtles when it comes to ponds? We have raccoons but they seem to only be interested in the ducks feed. Foxes, hawks and eagles.... and that's our back yard :-(
Yes snapping turtles will eat their feet and pull them under and drown them. I am not sure what else they can eat off of a duck but I do know that they are in most ponds and can kill a duck. If your coons are only eating the food you are very fortunate. Here the food for coons is the ducks. They tear the heads off and eat the entrails of the duck after slicing their stomachs open. Good luck with your flock. Predators can be brutal on them.

Back
Top Bottom