1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to Intervene.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    So I have 16 16 week old pullets, and 3 6 week olds...I need to get them together, I have the little ones in the coop and run, at night I catch them and put them back in their separate cage inside the coop with the big girls, but now the older girls are getting ready to lay, I need to get the nesting boxes open in the coop for them. I tried to release the younger ones the other day, and all Heck broke loose. So if I tackle it again say tomorrow, my day off to monitor it all, when is enough enough? When do you step in and help out the smaller ones?

I don't want blood shed, but I need them together soon. Do I wait till the little ones are a bit bigger?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Where are the little ones during the day? And where are the older ones during the day?

6 weeks is pretty small compared to 16 week old chickens. It's possible, but it'll be a lot more work. You would want to give the little ones hiding places where they can get away from the bigger ones. Tape cardboard to their crate in the coop so only they can fit through. Plus you have 16 older ones and 3 younger ones, so it's possible for a bunch of them to gang up on the babies. If it were me, I'd wait until they were a bit bigger.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I agree I'd wait too. The little ones are really outnumbered. But I did successfully integrate 2 8 week old silkies in with 4 14 week old Isas. I just put them in the same run and fenced it off so the little ones were in sight. After a week of that, I opened the fence. The silkies have a plastic tote with a hole cut in it just big enough for them to fit but not the Isas. I supervised and when they would get picked at, I would usher them into the hole in the tote. They figured it out. It did get a little ugly, some pulled feathers. And the Isas would not share the feeder or waterer so I had to have 2 sets for quite a while. They really need places to hide and know how to find them quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by