when to introduce gritt???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smcdermott, Jan 26, 2015.

1. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    At what age do I give them gritt??
    They are still on just the medicated starter feed.
    At what age do I change that to the layer feed???

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. FoxHead

FoxHead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Greenville, MI
    I added grit at about 6 weeks. Mixing small amounts of fine grit in the starter feed worked great. The only bad things I've heard about grit is when a bird decided to eat all grit. That's why I mix it rather than having a pan of grit. Moving them to layer feed is a preference thing just like feeding the medicated foods. If the size of the feed pellets are appropriate for the size of the chick, feed it. Right now, I am feeding my adult birds starter feed for a little more protein because of the very cold temps. I add crushed oyster instead of grit at the moment for calcium. There is nothing to worry about when it comes to feed as long as they are eating. A little more protein for younger birds is good. Layer feed is a good maintenance feed. I haven't fed medicated foods before. If you don't have a large number of chicks, and they are happy/healthy, maybe try another starter feed.
    No worries, they will be just fine! Read about growing fodder. It's really easy, and great for the flock!

3. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    mine are two weeks and I have started using grit...I am no expert a newbie but according to what i read it depends what you feed. If you feed starter only u dont need grit. If you are feeding other foods they need grit in their diet. Mine are eating crickets I picked up at the market..plus some veggies, herbs, flax as treats thats why i am offering grit in a small bowl..I heard alot of pros and cons as it being in a seperate bowl verses mixed in food. I can't come up with a conclusion so I put a separate bowl in there that i can take up if i think they r eating to much of it. Havent had to remove it yet seems they just take what they need and go on about their business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by