When to introduce new chickens?

sbelmont2

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2019
Boulder, CO
We have new Bantam Silkies on the way. They should hatch in a couple of weeks. Our Silkie is sitting on the eggs and will raise them in the coop. We are also wanting to introduce a few pullets from a different (non-aggressive) breed. Question: Is it better to have the new pullets now before the chicks hatch or wait until after the chicks are born?

A lot depends on your broody, but I would add the pullets now, so that the broody can establish her crabby attitude on them. They will learn to give her a wide berth, which is helpful when she brings the chicks out.

We have new Bantam Silkies on the way. They should hatch in a couple of weeks. Our Silkie is sitting on the eggs and will raise them in the coop. We are also wanting to introduce a few pullets from a different (non-aggressive) breed. Question: Is it better to have the new pullets now before the chicks hatch or wait until after the chicks are born?

Hi, typically you need to wait till the new chicks are big enough to add to an existing flock. Usually about 4-6 months is best.

As for the chicks with the momma hen. She will do the introductions for you. I usually want till the chicks are at least a month old till I allow her to introduce them to her flock. They usually assemble with the flock quite well. I have found that allowing the momma hen to to do the introductions for me is much easier than when getting chicks from a hatchery and having to merge them myself.

If you have any really aggressive birds in the flock that your momma hens belongs to you might want to remove them for a about a week to give the little ones a chance to mingle. After a few weeks, reintroduce any aggressive birds and all should run smoothly.

We are also wanting to introduce a few pullets from a different (non-aggressive) breed. Question: Is it better to have the new pullets now before the chicks hatch or wait until after the chicks are born?
How old are these pullets?
It doesn't matter how "(non-aggressive)" any of them are, integration is an invasion.
Knowing more about your goals for keeping chickens,
your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
might garner more specific suggestions.

typically you need to wait till the new chicks are big enough to add to an existing flock. Usually about 4-6 months is best.
4-6 months??!! Really?

I integrate chicks young...
....and broody goes back into the flock with her chicks about a week after hatch,
broody sets behind wire wall right in coop.

I don't know how much room you have in the coop, outside the coop, how many coops or runs you have, or when that room is available. The age of the pullets would be interesting information. I don't know what method you plan to use for integration. If you do much of a look-but-don't-touch the timing could get pretty close. If you do a quarantine, integration will start after those chicks are hatched. I don't know how much experience you have.

Some people never quarantine. Some quite successfully do not use the look-but-don't-touch method. We are all so unique in our set-ups., management techniques, flock make-ups, experience, and so many other things that what works for one may be a disaster for another. I don't know how much experience you have integrating but I'm not going to tell you that you have to use a certain method or can't do certain things when you have had success doing it.

Whatever method you plan to use I'd start as soon as reasonable. I don't believe it is easier when they are younger, I don't believe it is easier when they are older. I believe that how much room they have when they are awake, inside and outside the coop, is a key factor whatever the age. The personalities of the individual chickens is also important. Some chickens are just natural brutes and they will be brutes. They can cause problems no matter when you try to integrate.

The younger those pullets are the easier it will be for the broody to intimidate them. My broodies don't have any problems protecting their chicks from any other chicken in the flock but not all broodies are that protective. I'd give your bantam silkie every advantage I could though she probably won't need the help.

Good luck!

I just had a hen hatch some eggs for the first time. She integrated them into the flock from day one.
At the same time, I had some of my eggs hatched and tossed them in the mix. There was some chasing and squawking, but everyone is settled in a few days later. In my limited experience, chickens figure out a lot of this on their own.

I do the see but not touch method for about two to three weeks then I let the new ones out. I have never really had a squabble doing it this way and I was actually amazed at how well this technique works. I had my chicks from day 1 and at 3 weeks I let them out, they did perfectly fine and the hens instantly accepted them. I bought two more chicks and left them in only a week and let them out and same thing. My hens are young the oldest is not even a year yet, but she started laying at 16 weeks, she's the most aggressive but somehow doesn't mind any chick I've added just as long as I do the see not touch method.

Some chickens work differently though, it all depends on your flock. It gets easier to determine how they'll act once you've added a few.

How old are these pullets?
It doesn't matter how "(non-aggressive)" any of them are, integration is an invasion.
Knowing more about your goals for keeping chickens,
your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
might garner more specific suggestions.

4-6 months??!! Really?

I integrate chicks young...
....and broody goes back into the flock with her chicks about a week after hatch,
broody sets behind wire wall right in coop.

Guess, I missed the part about a broody. Yes, broody do bring their chicks back to the flock soon after hatch. For birds that are raise without a broody you need to wait for a while till they are large enough to sustain the pecking order ritual. Sorry if I misread your question. Its been one of those weeks.

Back
Top Bottom