when to introduce?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 5, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Not sure if this is the right space to post this but here goes anyway. I have 21 chicks that are 4 to 5 weeks old. They are getting big but i want to know when it will be good to introduce them to my roo and other 5 girls. Of those chicks there are 3 different cockerels, a Plymouth rock, a RIR, and a Brown Leghorn. Am I going to have to worry about my rooster going after these young men, or should they be okay for awhile yet. I plan to sell the rooster I have right now to my neighbor after these guys get old enough. If anyone can help with answers it would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Sadly, you will need to wait to see. I had a rooster that did not tolerate any other roos in the yard. He is no longer with us as he decided not to tolerate people either.

I have a roo now that is fine with the other roos as long as then don't challenge him. If they do, he quickly puts them in their place.

Every rooster is different, you will need to give it a try and keep an eye on them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by