When to just allow Mama hen and chicks out to free range

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello! We have a buff orpington raising 12 chicks. They are 10-11 days old and have had intermittent access to free range. Orpy is a great mom! She is very protective of them from the hens and the dogs if they even look at her chicks wrong. It's actually really neat to watch her with them!

My question is:
At what point do I just let go and allow her to make the call with the run door open? I know she wants out.

It's crappy weather. Like 40's and drizzling. She has had them out in cold and always calls them under her after a bit of foraging and will bring them back to their private coop in-between excursions out. She is very attentive and seems to know what they need. But I am freaking out over the drizzling. Thoughts??
Thank you!

I would wait till the chicks are 6 weeks old at the least because at this young they need to eat their chick starter all day and sleep and have a heat source I personally wouldn't let them free range until they are fully grown so about 14-18 weeks old

I would wait till the chicks are 6 weeks old at the least because at this young they need to eat their chick starter all day and sleep and have a heat source I personally wouldn't let them free range until they are fully grown so about 14-18 weeks old
An extra heat source on top of Mama calling them under her? Wouldn't Orpy get too hot?

Back
Top Bottom